Author Topic: Dealing with matte medium white residue  (Read 6988 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Dealing with matte medium white residue
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »
A couple of wrecked Airslide hoppers off to the side of the ROW and Ed's Law may apply... :trollface:

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
Re: Dealing with matte medium white residue
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »
Possible new intel on this issue!

I've been testing a bunch of ideas for ballasting to make it go faster [and jump higher], and started experiencing the talc residue problem where I had not seen it before. First, there is a solution - wet (just water) toothbrush. Once the ballast is fully dry and set, lightly scrubbing the residue dissipates it to where it isn't noticeable. It might take a two or three passes, but it will eventually vanish.

The other thing I've discovered is there may be an issue with "old" diluted medium. The bottle of 4:1 Liquitex I was using was mixed several months ago. My theory is "simply" adding water upsets the as-manufactured balance. With age the talc might be precipitating out of suspension, and mere shaking isn't going to put it back. I didn't have any issues when it was freshly diluted.

Something else to ponder is I am now using Vallejo medium. It is working exactly as I wish it to with no residue. But, again, that is a fresh mixture. Only time will tell whether the residue issue is an aged-solution problem or if Vallejo medium >> Liquitex medium in this "off book" use.