Author Topic: ESU LokSound Micro Select Direct install in Atlas GP38-2  (Read 9537 times)

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
Re: ESU LokSound Micro Select Direct install in Atlas GP38-2
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 08:17:15 AM »
For any interested party, I have designed an enclosure in a two pack for this install similar to @RBrodzinsky 's concept for a 9 x 16 speaker at the request of @cbroughton67 .
Correct me if I'm wrong, John - based on our conversations, this will require that the rear section of the chassis to be shaved-down to the top of the bearing retainers to accommodate the enclosure. The goal being to allow as much volume as possible in the enclosure. Mine are ordered - looking forward to the install! Thanks again, John!

Chris
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

edge8300

• Respect: +2
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 11:54:43 AM »
Wow!!  got 5 sets on the way.  I've built my own based on this thread, but I like the idea of the bigger speaker!!  Here's to the Shell fitting LOL, cuase it was tight on my 8X12 enclosure. 

Exited!! and thanks!!.

Which exact speaker do you recommend for this enclosure from Digi key or wherever?  I've been having some issues with blowing Sobertons 8X12's.  Not sure if its me or the speaker.  I like low end.

E. J.

For any interested party, I have designed an enclosure in a two pack for this install similar to @RBrodzinsky 's concept for a 9 x 16 speaker at the request of @cbroughton67 .

https://www.shapeways.com/product/47AN33V3Y/gp-38-40-9x16-speaker-enclosure-2pk

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »

https://www.shapeways.com/product/47AN33V3Y/gp-38-40-9x16-speaker-enclosure-2pk

John, what are the individual dimensions of these?  Depending on wall width, the extra 1mm in width of the speaker shouldn't be an issue, but the extra 4 in length?  Haven't been asked to do any more of these in a while, so not quite certain on how much extra frame would need milling.

These look very nice
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3158
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 01:27:26 PM »
@RBrodzinsky Well I did hork your picture to design it based on @cbroughton67 's dimensions (and his comments above) that he made on his frames following this thread.  Any other dimensions Chris has will have to be asked of him to document- I don't have modern diesels.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

@edge8300 , this was designed to fit the speaker Chris measured for me:
 https://store.sbs4dcc.com/SBS4DCCSugarCubeSpeaker9x16mm8ohm.7wattw/SoundChamber.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2hTqVpEDunSlcp4kHFBBl4SgnVKBVCsByv_0Eq2-yiZF9-FMyXR3LZ1s8

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »
Cool! Might need just a minimal amount of milling backwards, and Chris, yes, you need to mill down to the top of the bearing retaining clip on the "other" side of the frame, plus extend back to just over the nuts.  Will also need to watch how to bring the speaker wires into the enclosure, as there is a bit less space with this design, where I brought them in.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
Will also need to watch how to bring the speaker wires into the enclosure, as there is a bit less space with this design, where I brought them in.

I'd bring them out the right (rear) side of the enclosure, wrap them over the board, and then feed them underneath somewhere past where the actual speaker is (I assume the speaker pads are on the bottom of the decoder board).  Bringing them out the left (front) side risks pinching them too much against the frame, which would worry me, although it probably would be fine.

John C.

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »
I'd bring them out the right (rear) side of the enclosure, wrap them over the board, and then feed them underneath somewhere past where the actual speaker is (I assume the speaker pads are on the bottom of the decoder board).  Bringing them out the left (front) side risks pinching them too much against the frame, which would worry me, although it probably would be fine.

John C.

The speaker pads are on the top of the decoder for the loksound 73100 and on the bottom for the 73199.  So if using the 73100 I would suggest to bring the speaker wires out the back of the enclosure and up over on top of the decoder. If not using the onboard led for the rear light, aux 3 or 4 as I recall, then you could stick a rear light led on the rear of the speaker enclosure in the middle and have the speaker wires exit to either side of that.
Steve

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 06:17:45 PM »
Cool! Might need just a minimal amount of milling backwards, and Chris, yes, you need to mill down to the top of the bearing retaining clip on the "other" side of the frame, plus extend back to just over the nuts.  Will also need to watch how to bring the speaker wires into the enclosure, as there is a bit less space with this design, where I brought them in.

I provided holes on the shallow end for the wires to get out of the enclosure if you mount diaphragm out. For diaphragm in you could put the wires either way, but make sure to plug the holes.

edge8300

• Respect: +2
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »
How hard would it be to print in speaker wire channels and some way to mount an LED on the rear?  Some sore of cable management built into the cab if you will.   Not sure if this helps or just causes fit issues.  Mine are in production, and I'm really looking forward to comparing my custom enclosure with the new larger speaker and cabinet combo.  I'll have a fleet of these when I get through. 

E. J.

The speaker pads are on the top of the decoder for the loksound 73100 and on the bottom for the 73199.  So if using the 73100 I would suggest to bring the speaker wires out the back of the enclosure and up over on top of the decoder. If not using the onboard led for the rear light, aux 3 or 4 as I recall, then you could stick a rear light led on the rear of the speaker enclosure in the middle and have the speaker wires exit to either side of that.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 09:22:25 AM »
Well with the larger speaker, the FUD walls are only 0.482 thick so no real room for wire routing grooves without sacrificing interior volume or making the part weaker.  I would also think you'd want the LED higher, like at the height of the decoder?

Sorry if I am not sure if the pic is the front or rear of the chassis,  :facepalm: :D

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 10:01:26 AM »
Don't these boards already have a rear-light LED on them?

John C.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 10:45:40 AM »
Don't these boards already have a rear-light LED on them?

John C.

Yes, sort of.  There are 0402 SMD LEDs, hooked up to the Aux1/Aux2 outputs, which, for the GP38-2 install I documented here, worked just perfectly.  Even with the light being on the "underside" of the board (see the photos at the beginning of the thread).   There are also pads for Front/Rear headlight outputs
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »
So, so close... For designing this via Facebook Messenger across three states without the locomotive or speaker in-hand, @Lemosteam got this incredibly close on the first go! And in his defense, he was depending on measurements taken by a software guy, so...

The plan is to shave the bottom of the box until everything fits, take more measurements, and pass the info along to John. I think a little styrene sheet to fill the bottom once it fits will allow this first iteration of enclosures to work with minimal effort. More to come...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 10:05:20 PM »
@cbroughton67 , Nope, nope nope.

Anyone that bought some of these please contact me at http://www.keystonedetails.com/contact-us/ to provide mailing information for replacements after Chris and I work out the changes.

I am fully committed to my designs, so please contact me to make this right. I have no qualms about direct ship from Shapeways to you for the replacements.

Also, please monitor your Shapeways accounts as I may try to contact you there as well.  Thanks for your support.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
+1
Much respect John @Lemosteam
Very admirable customer support
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/