Author Topic: Any Scale, tiny lead ball weighting  (Read 1201 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Any Scale, tiny lead ball weighting
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:34:04 PM »
So I went out and bought the 10lb bag of BPI #12 nickel plated bird shot from this thread:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=42804.msg562983#msg562983

I am offering 6oz packets at $7 each, mailing included ($3.25 per packet plus $3.75 shipping per packet) for use in weighting projects.

Offered only in a limited number of packets.

PM me for specifics regarding this product.

Here is an example of it in use:

Warnings as stated on the product as delivered:

"WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS A CHEMICAL KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER AND BIRTH DEFECTS (OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM)
WARNINGS
THIS NICKEL PLATED PRODUCT/LEAD SHOT/LEAD SLUG PRODUCT CONTAINS INORGANIC LEAD, ANTIMONY, AND INORGANIC ARSENIC.  MISUSE OF THIS PRODUCT CAN PRESENT A HEALTH HAZARD. DISCHARGE FIREARMS ONLY WHEN GOOD VENTILATION CONDITIONS ARE PRESENT
•   DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. THIS PRODUCT MAY PRESENT A LEAD POISONING HAZARD IF TAKEN INTERNALLY
•   DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR USE TOBACCO PRODUCT OR APPLY COSMETICS WHILE HANDLING THIS PRODUCT. WASH THOROUGHLY AFTER HANDLING AND BEFORE EATING, DRINKING OR THE USE OF COSMETICS/ TOBACCO PRODUCTS
•   DO NOT STORE NEAR ACIDS, BASES, AND REDUCING AGENTS

KEEP PRODUCT AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND THEIR ENVIRONMENT, FEED PRODUCTS, FOOD PRODUCTS, AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. CLEAN UP SPILLS IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT RE USE PACKAGING FOR OTHER PURPOSES. WHERE PRODUCT IS USED FOR PURPOSES OTHER THAN COMMERCIAL SHOT, AND FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, REFER TO A MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET AVAILABLE FROM THE MANUFACTURER.

WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS A CHEMICAL KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER AND BIRTH DEFECTS (OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM)

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN"

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:44:09 PM by Lemosteam »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Any Scale, tiny lead ball weighting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:05:47 AM »
PM sent. Thanks.
Otto

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »
Not to be picky, but that shot doesn't look like it is nickel plated in the pictures.  Shouldn't it be more shiny if it is nickel plated?

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
Not to be picky, but that shot doesn't look like it is nickel plated in the pictures.  Shouldn't it be more shiny if it is nickel plated?

@Maletrain , And you would be correct because the shot in the pictures were pulled from an old 22LR shot round that a friend gave me to test. LOL.

I can only go by the label that came on the product, which is quoted in the warnings as being Nickel plated.  I have no way of telling, myself.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
+1
I bought some myself from Midway in Texas about 2 years ago . I wish they had 1/2 a bird shot as the air holes would be less . Lead powder would be messy , with inhale and skin absorption dangers . I used to do a fair amount of plinking at a State legal site back in the day and always wondered if all that concentrated lead in the berm was getting into the water table . Then I would reload and ..........

Richie Dost

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »
Nickel plated shot should reduce the hazard of lead dust in handling and breathing.  But, frankly, just being careful how you handle the shot to avoid raising dust, and making sure you wash your hands before eating or drinking is more than sufficient to protect yourself from lead poisoning.  And, to make sure that such tiny shot stays in place once it is positioned, you really need to use some sort of glue, which then becomes a protective barrier. 

If you get the urge to melt lead to make a shaped weight, then do that out-doors and stay where the wind doesn't blow in your face (neither directly down-wind nor directly up-wind, where the eddy that your body creates will be a back-draft toward you).