Author Topic: RS1 twin beam headlight  (Read 965 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
RS1 twin beam headlight
« on: April 14, 2018, 03:16:54 AM »
I got Circuitron fiber optics from MBK today. The .03 fit the FXD parts perfectly. But creating a lens with heat made the strand too large to fit flush. Oh well. just won't do that step. Waiting on Scalecoat CNJ paint from Minuteman Scale models, to proceed with finishing project. Would like to get a couple of RS1's on the cheap to paint for Still River Valley, my home road to be.
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: RS1 twin beam headlight
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:36:08 AM »
I got Circuitron fiber optics from MBK today. The .03 fit the FXD parts perfectly. But creating a lens with heat made the strand too large to fit flush. Oh well. just won't do that step. Waiting on Scalecoat CNJ paint from Minuteman Scale models, to proceed with finishing project. Would like to get a couple of RS1's on the cheap to paint for Still River Valley, my home road to be.
 Joe D

I never do the "heat mushrooming" thing. Not only it swells up the end of the fiber, it IMO looks silly.  I cut the fiber with a single-edge razor blade, then sand and polish the end using a multi-grit fingernail buffer.  I get those at a beauty supply store (I go shopping there with my GF and find all sorts of items useful for hobbies).  :)  When I'm done with the polishing (the Super Shine grit), the end of the fiber is mirror-smooth.

. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 08:43:27 AM »
I never do the "heat mushrooming" thing.

It depends on the application. I find the trick is quite effective; I'll make mushrooms of various sizes depending on what's needed. It's especially good for certain automobile headlights--heat it just right, and the size can match the modeled light accurately.

But in the case of an RS headlight, I can see how it would be counterproductive.

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:49:53 PM »
They've got some really nice brushes in the makeup aisle, too! Good for weathering with chalks me thinks.
 Thanks for the polishing tip.
 Joe D