Author Topic: Uploading a new sound file to loksound select decoders  (Read 3126 times)

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
Re: Uploading a new sound file to loksound select decoders
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »
@peteski , just need pad dimensions (Length and width) and thickness at pads (could you measure each pad on each board to establish a range?) added to those great views!

Don't do a lot of DCC yet so I was not aware of that nice writeup.

@Lemosteam

Hi John.

Well, I was only sort of half-serious about the 3D jig, but if you really are interested in pursuing this, remember there probably needs to be two versions - one version for the 73199 sound decoder and the nearly-identical LokPilot 54650, and then a different one for the 73100.  The 73100 is probably the board that will be used in all the new Atlas sound-equipped models.  I don't know how you'd engineer the actual electrical connections - maybe a "kit" with phosophor bronze strips?  Or can you actually print something that has metal pickups along with a plastic body?  I really need to spend some time getting up to speed on the state of 3D printing art . . .

John C.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
@jdcolombo , PB wire- not strips- you just need contacts to get to the track- not be identical to the chassis.

I can model both to cee if I can commonize into a single jig.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »
If we are going to do this correctly, should it be a jig that goes to track, or a jig with contact points where we can attach wires to go to Tester or track?  And, would one want just track contacts or also motor?

I have a 73100 on my desk right now, let me see if I can add pad dimensions to Pete's photos.  Also have 7 IMRC SD40-2s sitting here, so I can pull one of the 73199s to measure, too.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 12:16:53 PM »
OK, here is a diagram of the 73100.  Numbers in white are the track/frame contacts (same dimensions per pair), the red are the speaker pads on the top, and the green are the motor pads (side on top / big pads on bottom of board).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The 73199 is much easier, and doesn't need a diagram.  Each track/frame contact (5 pairs, top and bottom) are 0.1115" (2.84mm) x 0.0460" (1.17mm).  The large motor and speaker pads on the bottom of the board are 0.1345" (3.42mm) x 0.0810" (2.06mm) each

I did not measure any of the function output (light/aux) pads.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
Thanks Rick - I wouldn't have been able to do this for several days.
Also a reminder for John (in case it isn't obvious): all the pads designed to contact the chassis are electrically connected on the decoder, so you really just need to connect to any single pad on each side.

Unlike the 73199 board, the 73100 only has metal pads on one one side of the PC board (not a best design IMO).
. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »
Here are the dimensional drawings for these decoders

These show the profile quite well.

To my mind the ideal jig would be something you could just place the decoder in such that the decoder makes contact with pb pick ups in the jig which would have wires soldered to them to connect to the tester/track.  There would need to be one left and one right rail pad pickups, (black and red wires), both +ve and -ve speaker pad pick ups (brown wires) and the twomotor pad pickups, +ve and -ve ( orange and gray wires).  Some way of keeping pressure on the decoder to keep good electrical contact while being programmed would be needed too.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:02:01 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve