Author Topic: Keystone Details now offering 2DP5 trucks for your earlier HGM B60b kits!  (Read 1271 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3132
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Does your Hellgate Models B60b (former releases) struggle rolling with the original American Limited brand trucks? As an alternative. Keystone Details announces new 2DP5 roller and friction bearing trucks designed just for this car as an option to improve performance.  the trucks are designed to use any 0.563" x 36" wheelset of your choice.

2DP5 Roller bearing

2DP5 Friction bearing

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:52:55 PM by Lemosteam »

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328

I'm working in the 1948-1952 era so does anyone know what the ratio of friction to roller-bearing trucks would have been then?
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
+1
There were likely more roller bearing, but there were plenty of B60b's that carried friction bearings to the bitter end.  Also of note, I have seen B60b cars with 2 different types of roller bearings on the same truck.  Model that.  :scared:

This one must have been in MOW service.  Penn Central used them up until Amtrak, but Amtrak did not use them in revenue service.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
I note the title of the thread says "...for your earlier...."-

"Earlier" has me a bit confused. These will also work with the current release of the B60b, won't they? 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Does your Hellgate Models B60b (former releases) struggle rolling with the original American Limited brand trucks? As an alternative. Keystone Details announces new 2DP5 roller and friction bearing trucks designed just for this car as an option to improve performance.  the trucks are designed to use any 0.563" x 36" wheelset of your choice.

Hi John,

Are these "plug n play"? The 2DP5 trucks for the Lima cars needed "cleaning out the pocket with a Dremel 107 and then 105 bit by hand."

Thanks!

Mark

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3132
    • Designer at Keystone Details
+1
Hi John,

Are these "plug n play"? The 2DP5 trucks for the Lima cars needed "cleaning out the pocket with a Dremel 107 and then 105 bit by hand."

Thanks!

Mark

@Mark5 The pockets will always need a little cleanout by hand, especially down at the point.  This is due to the fact that there is no way to avoid the wax on the inside.  No need for the larger of the two bits though.  Just use the small one.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Thanks, now I gotta check the kit I bought a few years back to see if I have the East Wind trucks that came with it (they might be lousy?).

In any case, I think I have at least one other project where these trucks might be useful (they were T-52 Trucks on the N&W, used on three classes of cars).  8)

Mark