Author Topic: Best way to remove Bachmann lettering?  (Read 1265 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
Best way to remove Bachmann lettering?
« on: April 16, 2018, 04:56:56 PM »
I need some suggestions as to how to remove some lettering on a Bachmann geep locomotive. Not all the paint, mind you, just some lettering. Does the solvaset trick work?

Any help appreciated.
Buffering...

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
Re: Best way to remove Bachmann lettering?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:35:51 PM »
+1
I used an eraser to get the number off the cab of the B-mann "NYC"  GP-7. 

If you take the number off the cab, add the Peoria and Eastern herald to the cab and cut out appropriate larger numbers from a Microscale sheet, you will have a Peoria and Eastern GP-7.  B-mann put NEW YORK CENTRAL SYSTEM on the long hood.  The only GP-7s on NYCS painted black and lettered that way were P&E's.  Pittsburgh and Lake Erie's were Pacemaker Green for freight power and two-tone grey for passenger (except for 5684, but it wore its peculiar scheme only briefly).

Depending on how much numbering/lettering that you want to remove, the eraser might work.

hminky

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:06:43 PM »
+1
The only thing I EVER found to remove lettering was Testor's Easy-Lift-Off:

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-ELO-Remover-8oz/dp/B000BQSKQE

My article:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/frt_lettering_removal/

Everybody touts other methods but none of those chemicals did anything on any lettering.

Stuff lasts forever my bottle has to be at least 25 years old.

Thank if you visit

Harold
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:21:26 AM by hminky »

rgengineoiler

• Crew
  • Retired, Union, Operating Engineer, 43 years Svc.
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:30:24 AM »
+1
On my Bachmann Steamers, I have many,  I used Micro Set and soaked for quite a while,  (15 min.),  and keeping very wet.  Then I let it mostly evaporate and pressed Scotch Tape over the lettering and burnished it on over each letter and carefully lifted the tape off.  I had to do this a few times on all of my steamers to get most of it off and then used a pink eraser to finish off the tiny pieces that were left.  This method did not bother the Black paint of the Locomotive at all.  I then cleaned up the area with some 70% Alcohol,  Let it dry for a while and re-decaled.  Finished the new decal project with Micro Set and Micro Sol and a lite dusting of dull coat.  Hope this is helpful.   Doug

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:55:37 AM »
A good tip. I also like to place a little strip of paper towel soaked in Microset over the lettering to keep it wet.
Otto K.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
I used an eraser to get the number off the cab of the B-mann "NYC"  GP-7. 

If you take the number off the cab, add the Peoria and Eastern herald to the cab and cut out appropriate larger numbers from a Microscale sheet, you will have a Peoria and Eastern GP-7.  B-mann put NEW YORK CENTRAL SYSTEM on the long hood.  The only GP-7s on NYCS painted black and lettered that way were P&E's.  Pittsburgh and Lake Erie's were Pacemaker Green for freight power and two-tone grey for passenger (except for 5684, but it wore its peculiar scheme only briefly).

Depending on how much numbering/lettering that you want to remove, the eraser might work.

Botchmann made a similar mistake with their Chessie GP7 by making it a B&O unit with the Ches-C on the short hood end rather than on the long hood end.

The easy fix is to re letter and re # to a C&O GP7 that had the Ches-C on the short hood end.

B&O
http://www.trainweb.org/chessiephotos/photos/GP7/5601cs-b&o.jpg

C&O
http://www.trainweb.org/chessiephotos/photos/GP7/5739cs-c&o.jpg
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:47:00 PM by cjm413 »