Author Topic: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2  (Read 4417 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
0
Jeesh, try to find an online vendor listing for those locos that shows the features. It's like the whole thing never happened - even on MRC's website - and it was only 5 years ago!

-Mark
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:19:46 PM by spookshow »

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 05:18:52 PM »
0
In any event, once I hook the headlight up to a DCC board, it will be directional when and if I want it to be.

George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 05:23:05 PM »
0
None of the various versions of the Model Power / MRC 4-6-2 have ever had directional headlights.

-Mark

That makes me even more curious what George discovers inside.  One is never to old to learn something new.
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 05:04:12 AM »
0
I finally found an old online listing - https://www.hobbylinc.com/model-power-canadain-national-usra-2-8-2-mikado-n-scale-model-train-diesel-locomotive-875761

"Golden white LED lighting" is listed as one of the features, but the only way to verify that would be to completely dismantle the locomotive, and I'm quite certain I didn't do that.

-Mark

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 05:16:05 AM »
0
I finally found an old online listing - https://www.hobbylinc.com/model-power-canadain-national-usra-2-8-2-mikado-n-scale-model-train-diesel-locomotive-875761

"Golden white LED lighting" is listed as one of the features, but the only way to verify that would be to completely dismantle the locomotive, and I'm quite certain I didn't do that.

-Mark

How about the tender (which is what we were discussing here)?
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 09:43:32 AM »
0
I was addressing the question about whether or not the headlight was an LED.

-Mark

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 09:50:53 AM »
0
The tender has no light as it came from the factory, and I'm not planning on adding one. in the new tender either.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
0
The tender has no light as it came from the factory, and I'm not planning on adding one. in the new tender either.

Looks like I misunderstood what you wrote in reply #7 in this thread. I thought we were talking about the tender.  Sorry!  Carry on.

I just thought of a possible way to determine id the loco headlight is a bulb or LED.  measure its current when  powered with 12V.  If it is around 10-20mA, then it is likely a LED. If it is higher (like 40mA) then it is likely a light bulb.

If it is an LED, I'm still surprised they would make it non-directional. LED is naturally directional, and most manufacturers utilize that feature to make the LED light up only in the direction of travel.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »
0
I've wired up and tested the DCC controller  [ TCS M1 with KA1 ].  I used a plug and socket for all 6 leads, so right now the engine just drags the DCC equipment behind it with no tender at all.  Looks pretty goofy.

I didn't put a resistor on the headlight leads and it works just fine, so I'm thinking MRC had Ajin put some circuitry around the headlight.   Of course, with the DCC controller the head light IS directional now.

The tender is in the paint shop.  It'll get painted lettered for NKP soon.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 11:17:34 PM »
0
Well, I'm lettering the tender, and run into a decal issue. I'd like some opinions please.
I am on my very last   Northeast Decals NKP Steam set in Dulux.  [ I have two more sets in bright yellow, which are useless - bought them by mail years ago not knowing they changed the color ].  I have NO more of the correctly sized road names.
I had a glitch on the right side.  The pictures will show the problem (ignore the dust, and the fact that there's no overcoat yet - that has to wait until I solve this issue).

The right side of the tender looks like this, so far.  The roadname looks good.


The left side had a decal problem - the "D" broke and I couldn't quite get it into the right place.  It looks less good.


I have NO more decals with the right size road name.  As I see it, I have two options:
1. leave well enough alone
2. Use a the roadname from the Microscale Diesel decal set.  It's about the right length, but too tall.

Thoughts?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 04:23:56 AM »
0
What are you using for decal solvent?
Micro sol (blue bottle) will soften so you can reposition if it is has not been hit with anything stronger yet.
Micro set (red bottle) and a slightly stiff brush can be used to coax it back into place if the film has already started to disolve.

It honestly doesn't look horrible but I know the feeling of knowing its not right and you can't leave it that way.
Tony Hines

Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6430
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4944
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 06:06:14 AM »
0
"Weather" the D as an in service scratched logo?
John "Lemosteam" LeMerise

Maletrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4225
  • Respect: +901
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 06:53:10 AM »
0
I agree that a "rusty dent" covering the break in the "D" would add some character as well as hide the goof.  Just make it subtle, so it is even less eye-catching than the decal goof, which is not really that eye-catching, now.

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 12:50:03 PM »
0
What are you using for decal solvent?
Micro sol (blue bottle) will soften so you can reposition if it is has not been hit with anything stronger yet.
Micro set (red bottle) and a slightly stiff brush can be used to coax it back into place if the film has already started to disolve.

It honestly doesn't look horrible but I know the feeling of knowing its not right and you can't leave it that way.

I've already hit it with Micro Set.  The D actually split down the middle (even with a an overcoat these Northeast Decals are prone to breaking - even when they were new) and I couldn't reposition the right side of it any better than I did without damaging the left side of the D.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

glakedylan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1486
  • Gender: Male
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +249
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
Re: Tender for Model Power/MRC 4-6-2 / 2-8-2
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 07:17:54 PM »
0
are there any decal sheet that provide just letters that you could get a close enough
or right font/right size "D" from?


let me check. i have some but i do not recall if i have any dulux.
or any in other than gothic font.



PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384