Author Topic: Lowering NSA PRR F22 gun flats.  (Read 9206 times)

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
Lowering NSA PRR F22 gun flats.
« on: March 29, 2018, 10:39:32 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

So. 

The left is the N Scale Architect car. The right is from Mad Dog Designs. Both cars are FUD. 
The Mad Dog car was basically a scaled down S Scale car and I had to figure out trucks and couplers.  That’s a Z 905 on it.  It’s low, and so is the coupler, but it looks killer. It doesn’t really coupler to any thing. It’s going to be yard candy.

The NSA car comes with metal weights, FUD trucks, and I think regular pre assembled MTL 1015 couplers.
It’s too high, man. The directions say to actually glue the couplers box in with CA. That seemed strange to me.

My plan is to see if I can use MTL 2004’s and file some bolsters.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Lowering NSA PRR F22 gun flats.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:06:58 PM »
It's going to be tough.  The flanges of the wheels on the NSA model are nearly to the top deck of the MDD model.  You might gain a little more clearance with FVM fine-scale (not wide-tread) wheels, as the flanges are smaller.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
+1
That’s a Z 905 on it.  It’s low, and so is the coupler, but it looks killer. It doesn’t really coupler to any thing. It’s going to be yard candy.

That is why I keep asking MT to make an offset z coupler.  We really need one for cars like this and cabins.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »
That is why I keep asking MT to make an offset z coupler.  We really need one for cars like this and cabins.

MTL makes underslung coupler (don't recall the part #).
. . . 42 . . .

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
Isn't the Marklin conversion coupler underslug? No idea how one would mount it though.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
Isn't the Marklin conversion coupler underslug? No idea how one would mount it though.

Marklin? I was thinking of N scale couplers (not Z).  MTL 2004 (and the couplers used on MTL 89' flats) are underslung.
. . . 42 . . .

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »
Are those 36" wheels or is that the camera angle?  They seem slightly larger than the mad dog car's wheels.
Aaron Bearden

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »
It’s going to be yard candy.

I also went the 905 route and came to the same conclusion, but I have no use for something that doesn't run. So, I went with the underslung MT option.

The other problem with these cars is they're MC Lyte.  In an attempt to add weight I used brass strips which were painted to look like wood and used moldable lead on the under side stuffed where ever possible.

Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »
Why not put a gun barrel on them.  That'll solve the weight issue.  And low couplers won't matter, as long as you're internally consistent.  You can have a transition idler flat on each end with couplers at the correct height. 
Aaron Bearden

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
I wonder if you could replace a few boards at the end of the deck with strip brass and then CA a 905 to that.  That would get the top of the coupler box almost flush with the deck.
Angela Sutton

The Mon Valley in N Scale

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 08:34:16 AM »
The other problem with these cars is they're MC Lyte.

It might have to be made of pewter :o - but as they are already available in resin we decided not to go for it. However, the height issue is always going to be a problem - but our PRR FM car, almost the same flat car height, looks OK. www.nscalekits.co.uk/prrfm.html

Both the 1019 and 2004 couplers do lower the mounting level to 0.226" as can be seen in MT's own literature, below

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:51:58 AM by prbharris »

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 08:53:29 AM »
Peter,

Do you still plan on making some fo the early TOFC cars like the CNS&M cars ? I have a trailer , waiting for the cars.

I have my own set of these PRR gun cars on the way. I also ordered an assortment of offset MT couplers, I think 1019's are among them. I hope I can find what i need.

Randy
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:55:11 AM by sd45elect2000 »

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
+1
It might have to be made of pewter :o - but as they are already available in resin we decided not to go for it.

Yes, I always thought you would be the ideal manufacture for this car. After seeing the picture, I wouldn't count the NSA car as a real option. If you did the cars in metal and were to offer a proper gun barrel to go with them, I'd buy even though I have four of the MDD cars. And I got some of those FM's, just haven't gotten to them.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
Yes, I always thought you would be the ideal manufacture for this car.

Thank you. The thread has piqued my interest - plus the availability of the drawings and pictures - thanks to Gatwood and Buchan and the PRT&HS. I do not think that there is an extant F22 for me to crawl over. though.

After seeing the picture, I wouldn't count the NSA car as a real option. If you did the cars in metal and were to offer a proper gun barrel to go with them

That is a good point. I will have a word with our new resin folk - we lost our previous, very helpful resin manufacturer and we hope to have a new one soon. The guns shown on the pictures I have are big WWII navel guns - I will see how he views the idea.

However, the F22 also seemed to have been used as an early precursor to Schnabel cars with the F22 being used as the ends of massive girder sections, or as idler cars. What about a large transformer - or a bridge girder as a load?

Do you still plan on making some fo the early TOFC cars like the CNS&M cars ? I have a trailer , waiting for the cars.

The very early intermodal CNS&M cars are ready - but I am waiting to see how the vans to go on them work out in resin [see above]. I will have the cars at the NSE Convention in June, and on the website after I get back.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 12:27:02 AM »
@Shipsure What are the odds of underslung truescale couplers?
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com