Author Topic: MRC 1810 Sound Decoder - Opinions Please  (Read 3100 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4607
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: MRC 1810 Sound Decoder - Opinions Please
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
On the ESU Yahoo group, there is a list of folks all over the world who have the LokProgrammer and are willing to help others.

But then you have to pay for shipping to and from the said person.  :trollface:
Life is so much simpler with a simple plug-n-play MRC sound decoder.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 09:31:17 PM »
http://www.bnm-hobbies.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_148

Check out the above link.
BNM hobbies has a sale on and  has 1 lokprogrammer left in stock for $100.  I just got one a week ago from them together with the lok tester for $43 and two loksound select micros for $83 each, with my requested sound files already loaded on for free.  Good prices and fast shipping.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:01:42 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:58:02 PM »
Thanks for the responses .. particularly the link with photos of a similar install. 

I need to be careful. This is obviously a rabbit hole.  If I do one, what do I do about the rest ?

It’s a rabbit hole I have dived down into. Yes, it gets expensive.
Here is a resume of my experience which you may find useful to consider.
 I started with making a few n scale sound cars, in 50’ boxcars and a Kato baggage car using  econami 100 decoders and consisted these to non sound dcc locos. It is a less expensive solution than putting sound in every loco and they sound really good too as you can get a pretty big 14x26mm speaker in the boxcars and baggage car.  The econamis also have several different prime mover sound files on them, so you can change from a GE FDL to an EMD for example. I still have them and use them regularly with my non sound locos.   Streamline back shops has a instruction on how to make them and the bits and pieces you will need.    This maybe something for you to consider if you want sound on a budget and run only a few locos at a time.   I made a sound car out of a sound only decoder, the digitrax sfx006.  I still have this too but the digitrax sound is inferior to the econami’s and the loksound.   I then ventured further with MRC drop in sound decoders, on an atlas gp35, kato E8/9 and Kato F7A.  I was initially happy with these but after a while I changed out the crappy speakers, costs about $10 each.  I was then happy a little while longer bit then got my first loksound.  In short I have slowly loksounded most of my locos now but I still use the econami sound cars with my non sound locos.  I sold all my MRC drop in sound decoder locos due to inferior sound and really crappy speed control.
Having too many different brand decoders can be a bit of a PITA too, with trying to remember each makers various differences and speed matching etc.
Hope this experience may help you
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:18:19 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 02:48:03 PM »
It’s a rabbit hole I have dived down into. Yes, it gets expensive.

Here is a resume of my experience which you may find useful to consider.

I started with making a few n scale sound cars, in 50’ boxcars and a Kato baggage car using  econami 100 decoders and consisted these to non sound dcc locos. It is a less expensive solution than putting sound in every loco and they sound really good too as you can get a pretty big 14x26mm speaker in the boxcars and baggage car. 

Hope this experience may help you

That sounds (no pun intended) like an excellent idea.  I need to look into it further.

Thanks.

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 08:19:05 PM »
Glad I have given you something to consider.
Attached are the streamline backshops instructions on making a sound car.
Steve

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 09:16:38 PM »
I have to save up for the Loksound Direct boards and the programmer. I really don't want to mill the frames though. Atlas engines are insanely light as it is.

Dat sound though.

ESU just gets that "clunky" chugging sound right. And I love the decelerating whir of the roots blower. Very crisp and clean.

There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away