Author Topic: MTL SW1500  (Read 1092 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
MTL SW1500
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:26:19 AM »
I had to adjust one of the truck sideframe contacts, as the axle point was not in the cup. But I'm finding reassembling truck is a royal PITA! The wheels/axles fall right out, as oppossed to other makes, even the LL SW wheels stay in place. Usually I tack the sideframe pickup in place with a bit of Goo. Witht this truck, you have to handle it too much for that idea. Trying to keep wheels in place, and contacts, while trying to put the truck cover on is impossible with 2 hands.
  Anyone have this issue, and get truck assembled again?
 Thanks,
 Joe D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:56:47 AM by GaryHinshaw »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4619
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: MTL SW1500
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:58:08 AM »
I don't have this model - I thought the trucks had a construction similar to the  Atlas and Kato trucks. MTL trucks are not similar?  How are they different?
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 02:02:06 AM »
I don't exactly know what's different Pete, except that the wheels fall out. Usually, you have to rotate the wheelset a bit to disengage from gear it's meshed with. Sometimes I feel there's a "nub" maybe that also holds wheelsets in on other trucks? I'll see if I can do a visual comparison later today. Busy also with getting ready to paint the lower "family room". Then I can start on new layout:)
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4619
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 02:15:51 AM »
I don't exactly know what's different Pete, except that the wheels fall out. Usually, you have to rotate the wheelset a bit to disengage from gear it's meshed with. Sometimes I feel there's a "nub" maybe that also holds wheelsets in on other trucks? I'll see if I can do a visual comparison later today. Busy also with getting ready to paint the lower "family room". Then I can start on new layout:)
 Joe D

I assume you mean wheelsets (not individual wheels)? Where do they fall out of? The gear case?  When I reassemble this type of truck (from any manufacturer), I hold the gear-case upside down in one hand. Then I install the wheelsets into the gear case, then I put on the metal side-plates on both sides while still holding the gear case with wheelsets, both side plates, with the side plates being aligned with the gear case nubs and also nesting the axle ends all still held in that hand. Then with the other hand I take the sideframe assembly,  and then carefully snap it onto all the parts I'm holding in the "first" hand. I usually tilt the sideframe to let the metal side plates on one end to slip into the sidefremes, then I fully lower it onto the gear case and snap it in place.
. . . 42 . . .