Author Topic: Best core for a 85' PS passenger car?  (Read 1773 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Best core for a 85' PS passenger car?
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:27:16 AM »
I've been working on the drawing for the IC 56 seat coach and I need a good core.

I have the ALM core but it's slightly shorter than 85' plus isn't really set up for etched metal without a bunch of shimming.  Brass car sides suggests the Rivorossi 85' car but only the older cars.  I'm not exactly sure what cars those are.

What are people using for 85' PS cars?

Jason

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3124
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Best core for a 85' PS passenger car?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »
+2
Jason, the thought of first finding then hacking every car is daunting to me, mating edges, etc.

After experiencing all of the print length issues at SW, I had been considering designing a sliding tongue concept into an underframe of an RP core to allow both halves to adjust to the length of the etches.  I have successfully used sliding features on other designs by allowing a 0.065mm clearance on all surfaces that will interface (technically this gap can be printed in place, but I would not).  Some holes above the tongue in the mating pocket will allow for capillary gluing to secure the final length from the inside of the car.  Any resulting gap in the core will be hidden by the sides, and only visible underneath.

Just a thought.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:01:52 AM by Lemosteam »

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »
Jason, the thought of first finding then hacking every car is daunting to me, mating edges, etc.

After experiencing all of the print length issues at SW, I had been considering designing a sliding tongue concept into an underframe of an RP core to allow both halves to adjust to the length of the etches.  I have successfully used sliding features on other designs by allowing a 0.065mm clearance on all surfaces that will interface (technically this gap can be printed in place, but I would not).  Some holes above the tongue in the mating pocket will allow for capillary gluing to secure the final length from the inside of the car.  Any resulting gap in the core will be hidden by the sides, and only visible underneath.

Just a thought.

(Attachment Link)

This is a great idea --- and, the roof --? Would it be produced longer then the base -- then trimmed to fit - ?

Thanks,
Wolf
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:34:31 PM by SP-Wolf »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »
I'm assuming from the general context of this forum that you're looking in N scale?

If you were in HO, Train Station Products has pretty much what you're looking for.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 10:46:51 PM »
Walthers make the exact car in HO.

Jason

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
Jason-

85 feet measured where?  Dimensioned drawing would be helpful.

That said, the longest cars I have, I think, are Kato smoothsides 6-6-4 cars, Super Chief sleepers and Walthers coaches- all of which have a side measurement of about 83'- 83'6" (coupled about 86')- but at any rate, a foot or two longer than the ALM core.  The Walthers car might not be a bad core- fairly modular, and the interior has similar number of seats (I don't remember exactly).

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 09:27:25 PM »
I would use a Rapido car and sand the sides down to accommodate the thickness of your sides, and carve out new windows beneath. Worked well for a couple of N scale cars I did 

Craig