Author Topic: Kalmbach weirdness  (Read 1519 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Kalmbach weirdness
« on: March 19, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »
Kalmbach sent me a discount so I was thinking about re-up-ing my MR subscription. I went to the website to purchase a digital subscription and the site tells me "This product is out of stock and temporarily discontinued". Um, has the world market on electrons been captured by some evil doer and I didn't get that memo? It seems like every time I try to by something directly from Kalmbach, its website throws some sort of roadblock at me and I have to call them, which is wholly inconvenient.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Kalmbach weirdness
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:31:12 PM »
I thought the digital version cost more than print?

p51

• Crew
  • Respect: +633
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
The one thing about Kalmbach that drives me nuts is the huge amounts of emails I get from them. I have zero interest in digital versions of their magazines and I don't think 2-3 days ever go by without getting an email hawking them.
Funny to see what happens when you take them up on the offer!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »
I thought the digital version cost more than print?

Interesting. And possibly. Most recent offer I received was $36/yr. for print. I did it last year, didn't renew.

ldk59

• Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:41:03 PM »
I rec'd the $1 per (digital subsciption) add-on offer... sounded like it was worth a shot.

took them up on it 3 months ago & to date have rec'd exactly 1 digital issue   :facepalm:

on the up side, the 1 issue I did get looks fantastic on my 12" iPad pro  ;)

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:07:26 AM »
I had the digital for a while but couldn't stand their platform they use from it. You have to install an app for your phone or table to read it or go through a specific site to read them. Instead, since the price was somewhat similar, I do the digital archive subscription in addition to the print. I can read that anywhere, print what I need easily and it's a much cleaner experience. Not to mention the fact you get all the issues of MR,

Phil
- Phil

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »
I don't have any Kambach digital anything, but you may be able to strip the DMR from it to be able to read it elsewhere. I had the same problems with Morning Sun E-books. (needed a special reader) But my last Morning Sun E-book download was a plain PDF file.

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »
I ordered the magazine on on off. Ever time they offer me a one year subscription for $29, I sign up. Of course already with the first issue they hunt you for the next year subscription at full price.

hnipper

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
I read MR online from the Omaha Public Library. It is easy to do. Perhaps your library has the e-version online? Not so with Trains mag.
Henry
Way out here in Uncle Pete's land.....

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:00 PM »
I’d recommend calling them on the phone. The best deal in my experience is a three year print subscription with the “all access” (for MR) online option. They’re very helpful if you call them and ask for their best offer, especially if you’re a multi-magazine subscriber. I do the trifecta of MR, Trains and Classic Trains. Maybe that helps, I don’t know. Give them a call!