Author Topic: 106' Lady Rosemary Fishing Vessel  (Read 2029 times)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
106' Lady Rosemary Fishing Vessel
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »
I took a picture of the Lady Rosemary on the West Coast in 2007 with this very high mast.

Since then she’s been through at least two remodels. This minimal kit has an all styrene hull and superstructure, a tapered mast, florist tulle for the net and a few brass and wire bits. Decals and thread not included. The model measures 8” long in N scale and 5.8” in Z. 

See nscaleships.com for details.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: 106' Lady Rosemary Fishing Vessel
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:34:32 PM »
Very nicely done Pete.  Really captures a west coast net dragger.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Pete,

That's really well done.  Kudos!  Just think how good it would display in DKS's hand.  ;)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:29:33 PM »
My European friends do a nice job with small Z scale fishing boats. Someday I'll have the time to post their images. Here's one of a 65' shrimper in Z:

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:54:27 PM »
I took a picture of the Lady Rosemary on the West Coast in 2007 with this very high mast.

Since then she’s been through at least two remodels. This minimal kit has an all styrene hull and superstructure, a tapered mast, florist tulle for the net and a few brass and wire bits. Decals and thread not included. The model measures 8” long in N scale and 5.8” in Z. 

See nscaleships.com for details.

@pnolan48 with your kit price at $44 + $8 shipping, it seems in line with the other available n-scale fishing vessel kits from Model Tech Studios, Seaport Model Works & Sylvan. Would your kit fit in the same era as those from MTS & SMW?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:24:20 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »
Paul,

I think so, as fishing boats have a long life. I haven't seen the models you mention in person, but there's no reason to think you couldn't mix and match as you pleased. My fishing boat models usually seem to be of larger vessels but they should be the same scale. I might buy some of the MTS runabouts for use in larger ships.  I used to have a cut off of about 125 feet, as anything smaller wasn't very interesting to me. Then I built some very small boats (55') in Z scale and they intrigued me. Still I just can't compete at the very low end. I think Tomytec does a great small tug for about $12.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »
What are all of the artifacts around the masts and seen through the ladders and some of the rigging?
Is it possible there will be better photos taken?  Maybe outdoors?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 11:23:38 PM »
Paul,

I think so, as fishing boats have a long life. I haven't seen the models you mention in person, but there's no reason to think you couldn't mix and match as you pleased. My fishing boat models usually seem to be of larger vessels but they should be the same scale. I might buy some of the MTS runabouts for use in larger ships.  I used to have a cut off of about 125 feet, as anything smaller wasn't very interesting to me. Then I built some very small boats (55') in Z scale and they intrigued me. Still I just can't compete at the very low end. I think Tomytec does a great small tug for about $12.

@pnolan48...If you want I have collected all the MTS fishing boat kits (minus the work tugboat & schooner) as well as many of the SMW kits/hulls (except square bow barge & derrick barge). The kits mostly contain cast resin hulls & cabins with cast pewter detail parts.  The unboxing photos or videos could be uploaded to a separate thread for review by the forum members. Maybe a new folder called N-scale Maritime Products?
Let the moderators do their thing  :D 

I've managed to only complete the MTS Fire Fighting tug kit..almost 10 years ago and my modeling skills have improved a little bit since then..(photos coming soon).!!
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »
Paul,

Again sorry for the long delay. Over the past 20 years I've researched N scale boats quite exhaustively. It seems some kits come and go. My competitive research is best categorized as sketchy: usually I'm building larger ships than the others. I haven't found much enthusiasm for a subforum or group on maritime topics. I am building some 125' or so trawlers for later this year.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 08:00:41 PM »
+1
A Deadliest Catch series :) of models

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »
No, no, no! Those guys all want big upfront fees to model their ships. I'll pick out others. :) Frankly, I think some boats were picked out because of their looks; others because of their captains.