Author Topic: Micro Engineering Code 55 flex - tie height dimensions?  (Read 1139 times)

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
Micro Engineering Code 55 flex - tie height dimensions?
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
Does anyone here happen to know what the height of Micro Engineering Code 55 flextrack ties (wooden style version) are?
I'm trying to make the ties in my yard appear to be buried in dirt, so the thickness dimension of the ties would guide me in finding a material of equivalent thickness.
Under the streets of Los Angeles

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Micro Engineering Code 55 flex - tie height dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »
+1
I measured 0.063".

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:15:26 PM »
I'm trying to make the ties in my yard appear to be buried in dirt, so the thickness dimension of the ties would guide me in finding a material of equivalent thickness.

Just apply a little extra scenery material and you'll be set.  Tile grout is 'dirt' cheap. 
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 12:30:12 AM »
+1
Hmm, mine measures about .054, maybe a different run?
I too like the "buried" look in yards, and started using 1/32" cork strips inbetween the yard tracks. The top is slightly below tie level, but ballast and dirt should even it out, so that the top tie surface may be showing (or not).
I don't care for using plaster or other "scenery material" in this application; too messy and prone to cracking. YMMV.
Otto K.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 01:32:30 AM »
I just buried mine in dirt - actually mortar sand, with a layer of very fine dirt on top to smooth it out.  The sand doesn't crack, at least on a permanent layout, the way clay does, and the local dirt is mostly clay.

Unless it's a new yard, there won't be much ballast visible, just dirt, oil and grease, and "crud".  I'd be tempted to glue it all down with diluted white glue, as usual, after adding some craft paint to the mix.
N Kalanaga
Be well

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 03:03:49 AM »
Hmm, mine measures about .054, maybe a different run?
I too like the "buried" look in yards, and started using 1/32" cork strips inbetween the yard tracks. The top is slightly below tie level, but ballast and dirt should even it out, so that the top tie surface may be showing (or not).
I don't care for using plaster or other "scenery material" in this application; too messy and prone to cracking. YMMV.
Otto K.

Yes, I want to avoid plaster/hydrocal/joint compound for the same reasons.

My strategy is this:

1. Lay down all track (I'm almost there)
2. Install all feeders, frog feeders and turnout machines (I will be using Blue Point manuals under-layout, my yard is not very deep and the machines will easily be accessible).
3. Use something like this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/windinstacc.php?recfer=26173 - A 1/16" thick foam tape, placed and cut in between the tracks.
4. Lay a little bit of ballast, just barely below the tops of the ties, just between the ties, inside and outside the rails (but not beyond the outside edge of the ties).
5. Cover entire area with tile grout (I have "Bone" colored, which is a very light beige shade). The whole point is not to have such a thick covering of grout, in case I need to modify the track alignment later on.

I'll be experimenting with this off-layout on a piece of scrap sytrofoam. I might also consider painting the ties and the foam tape a similar color as the grout.
Under the streets of Los Angeles

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
I had used a black (probably really dark grey) sanded tile grout from either Lowes or Home Depot. It looked quite black and set up well. It's heavy and didn't crack but the dry grout is messy and it stains/sticks to everything it touches or is spilled upon. Shop vac spills up ASAP. I just added water w white glue and detergent as a wetting agent as with normal ballast using an eyedropper. It looked like greasy, grimy, yard dirt.

It is HEAVY though.
Bill McBride