Author Topic: Who wins the challenge?  (Read 5829 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Who wins the challenge?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »
A little more than a day remains.  Are you going to let the SPF's here win ??   :D  But we must remember, as our fearless leader stated in the original post : "The goal here is to learn, not to "win"! "

But we also must remember the late great Vince Lombardi - "If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"  :trollface:

It is very hard to vote as there are many examples of some pretty outstanding modelling.  Some of the models include some very outstanding components but another may be a little more complete.  I'll say that I voted and finally weighted the decision by completeness but can't say I felt good or completely fair doing it.  :| There is some excellent work demonstrated in every one of those entries and it left me feeling that by voting for one was slighting others that deserved and earned real admiration.  I guess to everyone, I was absolutely and thoroughly impressed with ALL of the entries. 8) 

Did you notice you could vote for multiple entries if you wished ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:17:44 PM by mu26aeh »

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
Are there any absentee ballots to count ?  :D :D

Congrats Doug ! :tommann:

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:47:18 AM »
+2
Wait, I thought I saw some hanging chads.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 07:49:17 AM »
+3
Are there any absentee ballots to count ?  :D :D

Congrats Doug ! :tommann:

Congrats to you as well - a 1 point win over @David K. Smith is sort of a holy grail modeling moment.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »
Thanks for all the votes!  I am honored.  That was a fun one.  We should definitely do more challenges.

This is one of my favorite buildings in Johnstown, so it was a great excuse to finally model it.  We should prepare a bronze plaque for Josh to place on the building on his next trip to Johnstown.  National Railwire of Historic Places.  Hopefully the building will not disappear as many other buildings in that neighborhood have.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
Congrats to you as well - a 1 point win over @David K. Smith is sort of a holy grail modeling moment.

One point?  That is not what I see.  DKS had 36 votes (20.5%) and Doug had 44 votes (25%).

I'm surprised that DKS' building did not do better. Maybe because it was not fully decorated like Doug's was?  It was much more complex to build with all the odd angles, additions, and rooflines.

There is also no question that Doug's entry was excellent (more "gotcha" factor) - congratulations!
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »
I'm surprised that DKS' building did not do better.

Probably because I didn't finish the fracking thing...

I have no regrets. It was fun and it got me doing stuff I might not otherwise... which I think was part most of the objective.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:41:35 PM by David K. Smith »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 05:29:01 PM »
One point?  That is not what I see.  DKS had 36 votes (20.5%) and Doug had 44 votes (25%).

Look at who I was quoting . . . check his vote totals . . . wait for it . . .  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
Ahh-hahahah!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »
Look at who I was quoting . . . check his vote totals . . . wait for it . . .  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Duh!  I got it (now). LOL!
. . . 42 . . .

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 12:44:44 AM »
Probably because I didn't finish the fracking thing...

I have no regrets. It was fun and it got me doing stuff I might not otherwise... which I think was part most of the objective.

I don't have your creative talents but if you would ever entertain using an outside resource, I can still color between the lines (this far) and would be honored to help. :) 
Mark G.

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »
Congratulations to Doug. In addition to a great model, he generously shared the PDF with anyone who asked, for free. IMO all of the entries were creative, and I learned some new modeling techniques from all of them.

Thanks also to  :tommann: for the Challenge! Now I just have to keep moving and finish mine!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:26:51 AM by Kentuckian »
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »
 Congratulations Doug! I just left a message with Chuck and you should get your prize shortly!

Thanks to everyone who entered or even just showed interest in the challenge!  All the modeling was very good.

:tommann:

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 06:59:34 PM »
I can't wait for the next challenge so I can enter it, then completely fall off the face of the earth... Afterall, I'm working on developing a bad reputation!

Nice Work, DougNelson, I loved everything about that build, from the odd shape of the building to the interesting techniques you used to replicate it.  Very unique in every way, that's why I gave it one of my four votes!

Everything that was in the running was interesting and well executed, and it did pose a challenge to decide how to distribute the kudos.  Well done all of you!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 08:51:19 PM »
+1
I thought the challenge went well and I really enjoyed seeing the projects all come together regardless of what got done. While I wish my entry got more votes, I still created a recognizable signature structure (which has been verified by local modelers which gives me immense satisfaction). Without this challenge pushing me along, I can almost guarantee that I'd still be looking at a blank spot on the layout! Plus its given me the oomph to draw up workplans and design sketches for couple other brick structures that I need to do.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"