Author Topic: Proof we need more MOW models  (Read 3465 times)

metalworkertom

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
Re: Proof we need more MOW models
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
That looks suspiciously like someone used the old Walthers plow as a master <insert some variant of "Walthers doesn't appreciate N-scale" rant here>
Yep formerly Big Dawg

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »
over 800 for a schnabel car:

I have that Schnabel and I wish him luck with it. With all those wheels it is a PIA to get to track right. I spent hours fiddling with the span bolsters and trucks. I ended up putting pizza cutters on it and marked a direction of travel on the bottom. If you traveled in that direction you stayed on the track about 80% of the time, travel the other way and you were on the ground within 3 feet.

Besides I have always held the opinion that I would more than willing to accept getting paid $800 for an item but I would never pay that to anyone else.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

DMetz

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »
I have that Schnabel and I wish him luck with it. With all those wheels it is a PIA to get to track right. I spent hours fiddling with the span bolsters and trucks. I ended up putting pizza cutters on it and marked a direction of travel on the bottom. If you traveled in that direction you stayed on the track about 80% of the time, travel the other way and you were on the ground within 3 feet.

Besides I have always held the opinion that I would more than willing to accept getting paid $800 for an item but I would never pay that to anyone else.

I also have that Schnabel, and I had the same experience at first.  I kept working on it, and now it is a great runner and never derails.  I didn't change anything, it is completely original.  I had to remove the thick paint around the pivot points of the span bolster and trucks.  Every pivot point needed a lot of attention.  It took a couple of years of fiddling with it to get it right.  And during that time, it would randomly fall over at any slight imperfection in the track.  I love running it, but if the price is now over $800, I may have to rethink running it.  Or keep a closer eye on it at public shows. 

Dan

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »
Not here , but Steamtown over there eye candy .

For a few moments, I thought this picture was of a model. I was seriously going to give up if it was!

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
ARE WE???

Nominating MoW cars as the next quarterly Railwire Challenge!

Jerry G.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 10:25:36 PM »
I wish that you recommended that challenge last year....

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »
Well...
Since, this is not happen'n!  :(

I will begin the project anyway...

Hint: it is NOT connected to the Schnabel or CWR...

Jerry G.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »
+2
The problem with commercial MOW products is... how much can the market consume? If it's locos and boxcars and such, we can all (more or less) use multiples of each item, so tooling gets to enjoy a fair bit of mileage. But not many of us want, say, a 250-ton crane, and those that do only need one at most. So the market for MOW stuff is going to be pretty light, and thus the reward for manufacturers will not be encouraging. Sorry to throw a wet blanket on the subject, but you've kinda got to think logically about supply and demand.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
+1
The problem with commercial MOW products is... how much can the market consume? If it's locos and boxcars and such, we can all (more or less) use multiples of each item, so tooling gets to enjoy a fair bit of mileage. But not many of us want, say, a 250-ton crane, and those that do only need one at most. So the market for MOW stuff is going to be pretty light, and thus the reward for manufacturers will not be encouraging. Sorry to throw a wet blanket on the subject, but you've kinda got to think logically about supply and demand.

I found out about that "Wet Blanket" about twenty years ago.  When, I was (trying) to sell, my Ballast Regulators and Tie Cranes...  :(

Jerry G.

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »
Hmm, think I will be listing my Overland UP version of the same crane on EBay ASAP!  If interested, keep an eye out......