Author Topic: The Los Pinos and Toltec Smelter  (Read 5411 times)

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +157
Re: The Los Pinos and Toltec Smelter
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »
Super shot Peter.
To make you guys just a little bit jealous I get to run on Peters RR once every 4 to 5 weeks or so.
The rest of the RR scenery is as good as this if not better.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

Mark Lewis

• Respect: 0
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2019, 09:23:32 AM »
Peter:

I am just now seeing your posts and photos, from a year ago.  Your modeling....scenery, structures and rolling stock are mesmerizing. Your proto-freelanced concept is spot on.  Well done!

Mark Lewis
Narrow Gauge modeling in North Carolina

Peter S

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
The Los Pinos and Toltec Smelter
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2019, 08:03:08 PM »
+3
Work seems to continue almost every day, at present I am working on a new mountain scene and that means lot of rock castings. Many of my rock castings are big and three sided, which makes it good for doing scenery but more akin to alligator wrestling when you have to get the molds out of the plaster. I've stopped running trains while I drip plaster everywhere but the drop sheet. This scene is still at Porter, I wanted a place locos could coal and I am sure I saw a pic where a loco pushed a gon up a gradient and the coal was shoveled into a tender. If not hey it is my railroad so they did it there. The loco is a Blackstone C19, that has been weathered, usual static grass and Shinohara track. Coaling a loco is not in the schedule yet but I hope to include it in future running days.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Peter S

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
+2
It's been a couple of weeks. I've been sneaker deep in plaster creating over 5 feet of new mountains, using my molds every which way but up. I think there is another week off white stuff. I am carving damp plaster to hide the joins and then I have to complete some tunnel portals and that part is finished. I think it is going to take me at least two more months to finish the scene. Otherwise the layout is running fine, I had the guys around on Friday for a running session, but it had to avoid the run through this section. This is a photo of Porter, which is really a staging town to two off site staging yards. The building is from Narrow Gauge Colorado. I really like his method of creating corregated material. It's a little fragile but makes really nice models. I used Valejo air paints, Again a product I like to use.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]