Author Topic: BLI M1a/b performance issues  (Read 3010 times)

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
Re: BLI M1a/b performance issues
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 05:14:25 AM »
So of the hundreds (thousands?) of these SPF wonders out there, Drasko is the only guy who ever took the shell off?
Really? And he's not even a SPF :D
Come on, I know you're out there...
Otto K.

We have 3 BLI M1’s and all 3 run perfectly so ‘unfortunately’ there has been no reason to remove the shell of these loco’s,  :)

Marc

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
I make a habit (actually my favorite part of the hobby) of taking apart most of my newly-purchased models, but unfortunately I don't have the BLI M1.
. . . 42 . . .

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
I am out of town for about a week so can't check right now BUT, as I hear these reports (good) and then revisited the pictures I am going to take another look at the crank pins in the front axle.  In the photo it appears that there is excess travel available on those.  If those pins are not fully seated that could have them sticking out in the breeze and catching the rod just as described.  It does not alter what I've described this far but it may be that the crashing could be at least partially remedied by them being seated further.  In the meantime, for those who have looked at theirs, is anybody seeing the excessive end play in the connecting rod pins at the axle end, the end where I installed the .036" spacer?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:05:36 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
I am out of town for about a week so can't check right now BUT, as I hear these reports (good) and then revisited the pictures I am going to take another look at the crank pins in the front axle.  In the photo it appears that there is excess travel available on those.  If those pins are not fully seated that could have them sticking out in the breeze and catching the rod just as described.  It does not alter what I've described this far but it may be that the crashing could be at least partially remedied by them being seated further.  In the meantime, for those who have looked at theirs, is anybody seeing the excessive end play in the connecting rod pins at the axle end, the end where I installed the .036" spacer?

I’ll have to check again, but I can’t remember any excessive side play with the rods.

Marc

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
Otto, there are 2 screws under the cab and one between the cylinders above pilot truck. It was pretty simple to remove without breaking anything. Just be careful with the two bars between the pilot and smokebox and the classification lights located on the pilot.

Drasko
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
Thanks Drasko, appreciate it, but she went back where she came from...
I have too many unfinished projects to dick around with a brand new loco that has major pickup/QC issues.

Too bad, it's a stunning looking model, and I actually like its Paragon 3 decoder very much (other than the very narrow range of whistles; 3). It's got a fantastic range of sounds and functions and I wish BLI could shrink it to fit inside smaller tenders and make it available as an aftermarket item.
Otto K.