Author Topic: Atlas pickup woes  (Read 887 times)

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
Re: Atlas pickup woes
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »
thanks for all the insights guys, I'll keep working away at solving the contact problems.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +320
Re: Atlas pickup woes
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 04:35:47 AM »
The poor contact between the motor contact strips and the metal pads on the decoder is a very common problem in these models.  One possibility is that when the motor contacts get deflected when the decoder is installed, they slip off the contact pad causing open circuit.  But this problem is different than the intermittent contact between the rails and the decoder.  The loco can actually exhibit both problems (motor and rail contact issues), and both have to be addressed for the loco to be reliable.

Yeah, this seems to consistent with all those "up-graded to DCC" Atlas locos designed in the late '90s as DC. I'm test running one of the DCC UP GP7s that just were released and found it runs about the same as my old DC Atlas Geep from back then. Stalls on switches no other loco does, stops dead at every tiny piece of dirt on the rail -- and this is brand-new loco. My old Geep does the exact same stuff, no matter how much I cleaned contacts points.
OTOH, the Atlas S2 I bought has no such problems, even tho it too has only 4 axles. Nice consistent running, seems impervious to slightly dirty track ... I wonder if it's because the S2 was built new from the ground up using better technology and more info about how locos run. The GP on the other hand, is only as good as tech from the '90s.