Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/4/18  (Read 4659 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +839

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +100
Re: Weekend Update 3/4/18
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +951
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 09:46:13 PM »
+5
The week, I have a little story of railroad research.

... about this drawing...

Once upon a time, Max wanted to adapt the Atlas Shay to match Portland Railway Light & Power #1 (PRLP #1).

This standard-gauge Shay operated on the Clackamas River not 10 miles from my house beginning in 1923 on the
Oak Grove Hyrdoelectric Project.

I started with some internet surfing.  I found a couple of photos.  I found the
actual serial number assigned to the engine by the builder, Lima, as s/n 3206.

More web surfing told me that the California State Railway Museum (CSRM) has a lot of Lima
drawings, so I checked with them.  They will produce an entire index of every drawing they
have of a given locomotive, if you can provide them with the Lima builder's number.  Then you can order
drawings from that index.

Lisa, at CSRM, found the side elevation drawing number (the one I really want), 428-A-5054.  She
did not have that drawing, but referred me to the Allen Country Historical Society (ACHS), in Lima, OH,
because ACHS has a lot of Lima drawings, particularly of the logging locomotives. 

I called ACHS, and then corresponded many times there with Charles.  I gave him the drawing number. 
He pored through their records but could not find it.  He found a few others that were close,
and he really put in a lot of effort on my behalf.

Alas, no drawing.  Undaunted, I pressed on. 

I noted a name under the builder's photo I originally scarfed off the web, so I thought I'd search the
internet for that fellow (George) and see if I could contact him about this engine.

George returned a barrage of details about my project engine in a text file.  The most interesting tidbit was that he
quoted the elevation drawing number as 428-A-5045. NOTICE!  His number has the last two digits interposed
from the number I got from CSRM!

Back I go to Charles with the other number.  And amazingly, George was right.  The museums had it wrong.
5045 was the correct number, Charles had the drawing, and he made a full sized copy which cost me only
$15, including the mailing cost (it came as a 48" drawing rolled up in a tube).

And so, from the internet to Lisa to Charles to George, and back to Charles.  And today, after about 3 weeks of digging,
calling and checking, I got my prize in the mail.   When the 0-6-0 is done, I'm ready.

And thus concludes my little story with the happiest of endings.  Be not discouraged.  The drawings are out there!

The End

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 11:21:12 PM »
When the 0-6-0 is done, I'm ready.

OMG this is going to be the most epic N scale shay ever!

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »
 Im just hanging in my hotel room modeling away. I think i have too many irons in the fire with a 4-10-2 drying on the jig, the big hudson project, and a up 4-8-2 just out of view to the right.

Drasko [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
EFM (Elite Fleet Modeler) member #1
I want a 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2!
Modeling Cajon Pass in 1947

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 12:33:13 AM »
OMG this is going to be the most epic N scale shay ever!

...or even the most epic N scale build ever...

Mark in Oregon

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +671
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 12:37:01 AM »
And thus concludes my little story with the happiest of endings.  Be not discouraged.  The drawings are out there!

The happy ending is the $15.  Be glad the CSRM didn't have the drawings.

Jason

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 01:45:04 AM »
I wonder what CSRM's drawing number was actually of?  Just out of curiosity?
N Kalanaga
Be well

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +400
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
+3
Baby steps.  After a two week wait for the insurance people, I finally have activity.  Note the new drywall.  We were lucky in the basement, no structural issues whatever and things dried up very nicely.

Upstairs they are preparing to install new flooring.  A pod arrives today and the furniture from that floor will repose there until the urethane is cured.  And we will be in a hotel while that is going on. 

I keep hearing numbers like 25 or 30 thousand thrown around.

Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +737
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »
I did go to CSRM to get the drawings of Hickory Valley RR Lima-built #5 (2-6-0).  I had the CN and was stunned when I got the drawings.   For anyone that's wondering... here's what you need to know:  https://www.californiarailroad.museum/assets/downloads/Lima-Locomotive-Works-Collection-Drawing-Reproduction-Request-Form.pdf
You need historic information, hopefully not transposed.  And for the most part, you can at least find every Shay ever built here and the serial number, or get there the hard way by owner:  https://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/searchdataframe.htm

Even more stunned when I found out it matched the 'actual' dimensions of the chassis of the Atlas 2-6-0.

And that certainly came out well.   It was worth every penny of it.    There is a full build thread out there of this one.  But you can't imagine how amazed I was to find a 'one off' of a single Pennsylvania logging railroad 2-6-0 in a California library drawing collection.
Model:  http://www.randgust.com/HVR5042%20final%205.jpg
Prototype:  http://www.randgust.com/hv5b.jpg

I really want to see how Max shortens the Shay frame.  I think it can be done, but I'm still willing to let Max lead!  I've got a second shay, a third frame, and an entire set of extra trucks to donate toward my effort. 

Max - what is your target dimension for truck center to truck center here?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:36:31 AM by randgust »

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 02:15:21 PM »
+3
Finally satisfied with the mechanism and performance and starting to finish it.   Basic paint and soldered brass handrails are done, and I'm glad that I had one old jar of Floquil Jade Green still alive, as that's the color.

Now on to actually detailing it, ordered the rest of the detail parts on Ron's thread.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +951
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »

I really want to see how Max shortens the Shay frame.  I think it can be done, but I'm still willing to let Max lead!  I've got a second shay, a third frame, and an entire set of extra trucks to donate toward my effort. 

Max - what is your target dimension for truck center to truck center here?

According to that drawing, 24' 6"
The Atlas is 28', about 3-1/2 feet too long, and the frame overall is about 4 feet too long.  That's 0.3" or 7.6mm
Remember... I'm just gathering data and materials. This project is months away.

But now I've got my data (the drawing and photos) and materials: The Shay, a "donor" Shay gifted me by a kind forumer,
and a stash of Mashima and Faulhaber motors and gearheads.  Plus the usual assortment of shafting, worms, bearing blocks.

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
My project target is 24' 4", so we're on. :D

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »
Baby steps.  After a two week wait for the insurance people, I finally have activity.  Note the new drywall.  We were lucky in the basement, no structural issues whatever and things dried up very nicely.

Upstairs they are preparing to install new flooring.  A pod arrives today and the furniture from that floor will repose there until the urethane is cured.  And we will be in a hotel while that is going on. 

I keep hearing numbers like 25 or 30 thousand thrown around.

Another good argument for modular construction - in case of emergency.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +919
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
+16
My Latest project - ready for service.
SP DF-5 F-7's

Thanks,
Wolf