Author Topic: Help me find one of these AC transformers..  (Read 3348 times)

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
Help me find one of these AC transformers..
« on: February 28, 2018, 06:31:12 PM »
http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/POWER.HTM

Hey gang, I bet one of you knows where I can find an equivalent to this wall wart? The link has one in stock, but I don't need 100$ worth of stuff for the minimum order :facepalm:

I recently acquired one of these throttles, but would prefer to not use a power pack to power it, the wall wart will be a much cleaner solution for my needs...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/851.HTM

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Help me find one of these AC transformers..
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
No need to have exact match.  The schematic shows that 12-18V AC is acceptable.  Looks like he uses a LM317 voltage regulator to supply the track power. Without going deeper into technical details a 12V AC adapter will still give you around 12V max voltage at the track.  As for amperage, LM 317 can only  supply up to 1.5A (which I doubt you will ever come close to use in N scale.  I would stick with the adapters rated between 9 and 16.5 Volts to minimize heating of the voltage regulator. And 1A woudl be plenty (but you can go higher). 

You should be able to find some 12V AC wall warts in your house, or at
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1007  I would recommend this one.
Or try
https://www.allelectronics.com/category/912/ac-ac-wall-adapters/1.html
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:49:55 PM »
According to their literature, they do recommend one with overload protection, and slightly over the 1.5 amp threshold, although I doubt my layout will ever use up that much juice..

In a related note, would one of these be suitable for throwing Atlas C55 turnout motors too?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »
According to their literature, they do recommend one with overload protection, and slightly over the 1.5 amp threshold, although I doubt my layout will ever use up that much juice..

In a related note, would one of these be suitable for throwing Atlas C55 turnout motors too?

The throttle (the chip in it) has an internal current limit of 1.5A. You are right, you will likely not even exceed using 1A (a typical Kato loco uses 0.2A at full speed and less when running slower).

Most wall-warts do not include circuit breakers, so if you one to have that feature you are best off buying the recommended one.  The one they recommend has a thermal breaker on the primary (120V AC side).

If the Atlas Switch motors normally run off of the standard accessory output of a model train power pack then yes, a 16.5V AC with 2.4A would be sufficient to power the switch machine.
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:08:04 PM »
do these normally have thermal breakers in them? I have no idea about this stuff. I am willing to give the first one you linked to a try, if it does have such a feature.

I don't have any other source to find the recommended ones.. :|

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +716
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 11:29:10 PM »
http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/POWER.HTM

Hey gang, I bet one of you knows where I can find an equivalent to this wall wart? The link has one in stock, but I don't need 100$ worth of stuff for the minimum order :facepalm:
Maybe try ordering from either of these dealers:
https://www.onlinecomponents.com/mode-68162as1.html?p=45321839
https://www.accessotronik.com/product_p/68-162as-1_m256.htm

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 04:47:11 AM »
Joe, do you ever get down to Manchester? If you do there is a shop there that sells surplus electronics that I frequent that would have what you want. Generally he has dozens and dozens of them for really cheap. I think the last time I was there I paid a buck each for them. You just need to look at them closely and read what their output is on them. Here's a link to his web site. 
http://www.esssurplus.com/
Keep in mind the the owner is not very people savvy :scared: and can be very grumpy!! ;) But there are lots of things to look at and his inventory is always changing so if you see something and think you want it it's best to buy it because it most likely will not be there the next time ya go back!! Trust me I have been burned on that. Like they say ya snooze ya loose!!  :D

Jon

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 05:35:31 AM »
Joe, do you ever get down to Manchester? If you do there is a shop there that sells surplus electronics that I frequent that would have what you want. Generally he has dozens and dozens of them for really cheap. I think the last time I was there I paid a buck each for them. You just need to look at them closely and read what their output is on them. Here's a link to his web site. 
Keep in mind the the owner is not very people savvy :scared: and can be very grumpy!! ;) But there are lots of things to look at and his inventory is always changing so if you see something and think you want it it's best to buy it because it most likely will not be there the next time ya go back!! Trust me I have been burned on that. Like they say ya snooze ya loose!!  :D

Jon

ESS?  I love that place!  I got lots of stuff from there.  Like spools of hookup wire for really good prices.
Owner? You mean Peter?  He is a great guy, with a really dry sense of humor. I can see why some people could find him grumpy. He is anything but (except when you open up boxes instead of looking at the "fondling samples" he thoughtfully provides on the shelves).   But I can see how someone could find him grumpy.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 05:38:35 AM »
do these normally have thermal breakers in them? I have no idea about this stuff. I am willing to give the first one you linked to a try, if it does have such a feature.

I don't have any other source to find the recommended ones.. :|

No, none of the wall-warts I pointed you to have a built-in breaker. Like I said, most wall warts out there (like the ones you use for stuff you own) have no breakers.  Most model RR power packs have no breaker on the 120V side (just on the low voltage side).

If you are worried, why not pick up the recommended transformer?  According to the info it is not expensive.
The MODE ELECTRONICS 68-162AS costs less than $10 and is available from Electro Sonic in Tonawanda, NY. They have a toll-free number for ordering 1-800-56-SONIC (USA and Canada) and they accept most major credit cards.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:32:47 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:42:22 AM »

If you are worried, why not pick up the recommended transformer?  According to the info it is not expensive.
The MODE ELECTRONICS 68-162AS costs less than $10 and is available from Electro Sonic in Tonawanda, NY. They have a toll-free number for ordering 1-800-56-SONIC (USA and Canada) and they accept most major credit cards.

I would have done that, except they have a 100$ minimum order.  :x I found the MODE unit at 3 online places, and all 3 had some sort of minimum order, or insane shipping(30+$!)..For that $ I'll just find a smaller Atlas power pack instead and use that.

Jon

Good to know, maybe I will check that out!..Of course I find out a few days after going down there to pick up my new Bob-o-Pedic! :facepalm:

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 02:22:35 PM »
Another option would be a laptop computer type power adapter.
Staples has several with a 16V output that can be ordered for pick up at a local store without incurring a shipping charge.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
Another option would be a laptop computer type power adapter.
Staples has several with a 16V output that can be ordered for pick up at a local store without incurring a shipping charge.

Most computer supplies output DC voltage - he needs a source of AC power (AC is how the the throttle uses generates pulsed output ).

To be honest, I have few a large selection of wall-warts (I accumulated from various discarded electronic devices), and I have several I still use, and none have any sort of circuit breakers or fuses built-in.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 07:20:43 PM »
Most computer supplies output DC voltage - he needs a source of AC power (AC is how the the throttle uses generates pulsed output ).
In that case, both Digi-Key and Mouser stock this unit: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c0062.pdf

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 12:02:02 AM »
In that case, both Digi-Key and Mouser stock this unit: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c0062.pdf

The BPE2F looks like it would fit the bill. It even has a fuse. But unless the case can be opened, if the fuse blows you have no way to replace it.
. . . 42 . . .

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 01:54:41 AM »
The BPE2F looks like it would fit the bill. It even has a fuse. But unless the case can be opened, if the fuse blows you have no way to replace it.
To protect against overloading the transformer (and blowing its internal fuse) , you could add a polyswitch, or other type of fuse, between the transformer output and the throttle input.