Author Topic: Lunde Studio building kits  (Read 6197 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Lunde Studio building kits
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 10:57:11 AM »
The N scale Arch bricks could be a little smaller, but what else is there...

I don't mind the size nearly as much as I mind the shape--those melted, blobby brick faces just look so bleah, and the mortar lines are too fat.

Not to take anything away from Paul's excellent modeling, but...

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »
Agreed. And there isn't much there. That's why I prefer using printed brick where I can. This one, under construction,  is by Paper Creek, unfortunately outa business.
Otto K.

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »

Not to take anything away from Paul's excellent modeling, but...

@David K. Smith  Please finish your sentence or thought. The N Arch brick material and thickness fits this particular layered/sandwich build. If you know of a better styrene brick material that's easy to source thru our regular online shops then please enlighten us all
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:52:42 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
@David K. Smith  Please finish your sentence or thought. The N Arch brick material and thickness fits this particular layered/sandwich build. If you know of a better styrene brick material that's easy to source thru our regular online shops then please enlighten us all

Sorry to disappoint, but I have no "enlightnment" to share; the rest of the sentence would be "it is what it is." I am sorry if you took offense, none was intended. Your modeling is superb, and it would be that much better if indeed we had an alternative to N Arch brick material. But not having an alternative doesn't mean I have to like it.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
Cajonpassfan:  If you want printed brick, and have, or can use, a reasonably good printer, you might try http://www.paperbrick.co.uk/ .

They let you generate and print your own brick sheets, with a wide variety of brick and mortar colors, lay patterns, and scale choices.  And it's free.

The files are generated as PDFs, so you can take them to a print shop, if you don't have a color printer.

N Kalanaga
Be well

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »
Yes I've used it, good products, thanks though!
Otto K.

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 07:44:34 PM »
Sorry to disappoint, but I have no "enlightnment" to share; the rest of the sentence would be "it is what it is." I am sorry if you took offense, none was intended. Your modeling is superb, and it would be that much better if indeed we had an alternative to N Arch brick material. But not having an alternative doesn't mean I have to like it.

DKS, No offense taken...thank you for the compliment!  I agree that a better alternative would really hold up under close macro photography, but as you stated - "It is what it is". This particular structure will replace the colorful cardboard mockup that was a place holder on my Johnstown, PA T-TRAK module...it sits up against the photo backdrop and is across the street, behind all the other foreground buildings.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:46:17 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 11:10:09 PM »
Isn't there a company (monster-something?) that sells laser-engraved brick sheet?  It might be closer to scale and it won't have the domed brick shape.
. . . 42 . . .

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 03:52:02 AM »
My apologies for veering off the Lunde Studio kit discussion with my hijack or thread drift. A new thread has been started to document my DPM knock-off structure build...please add any further comments or suggestions over there. Hopefully it will please the moderators and those others that like things filed away in the right place...hmm??...who could I be hinting about here??....@peteski :

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44220.msg567704#msg567704
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:03:30 AM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 04:11:53 AM »
My apologies for veering off the Lunde Studio kit discussion with my hijack or thread drift. A new thread has been started to document my DPM knock-off structure build (hopefully it will please the moderators and those others that like things filed away in the right place)...hmm??...who could I be hinting about here??....@peteski ):

And I have nothing else to add. . .  :D

. . . 42 . . .

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 04:57:26 AM »
And I have nothing else to add. . .  :D

Wow!  :o...finally zeroed in on the kryptonite to keep Snarkski muzzled   8) :D ...I may or may not be just kidding
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:00:33 AM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 05:22:16 AM »
Isn't there a company (monster-something?) that sells laser-engraved brick sheet?  It might be closer to scale and it won't have the domed brick shape.

Yeah...might try that for my next scratch build if I decide to go with wood...styrene is typically a better choice for ease of cutting, gluing and does not need it's surface primed to prevent warping

http://www.monstermodelworks.com/_download_files/Scratchbuilding-with-MMW-brick-p1.pdf
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
Monstermodelworks brick is excellent in appearance -- the bricks look to be scale, and the laser-cutting process cuts vary a bit slightly to avoid looking rigidly uniform brick layout. BUT in N scale be sure to get the thickest board you can use. The textured wood is tricky enough to work with as to cuts and windows, but the thinnest sheets are murder. I used a SHARP chisel blade to punch window openings and a dremel cut-off wheel to cut wall lengths. The brick texture is very easy to crush along the cut lines if you use anything even slightly dull, or a handsaw.
You can see what my results were here

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40722.msg540252#msg540252

The 3rd to last picture on that page shows the long factory building and the tall black one whose bricks are MMW's. The buildings on the left w/ regular windows are kitbashed Walthers Modulars.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2018, 08:28:35 PM »
Now that I've gotten scenery up to the part of town with the big buildings, I still have no mid-sized premade kit for the space I want. Tho all the tall buildings by CMR and Lunde are excellent, almost all of them seem designed as corner or stand-alone structures. I guess what I'm looking for is the "DPM building style" with very plain side walls that could be stuck side by side for whoever long a distance needed. What I think is missing from the tall buildings are ones with a detailed front, a back with windows and rear entrances, but all brick or w/ very few windows side walls. Tall buildings you could line up side by side. No need for fancy or detailed side walls which should make them cheaper and thus more likely for more than one to be bought for a scene.
(Actually, I DID plan to use a building that Lunde makes (Juno Watt) which matches my above description. But the railroad in the meantime decided it needed a passing siding right where that building would sit and now it's too wide for the lot.) :oops: :facepalm:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2018, 08:55:43 PM »
Most of the buildings usually have 2 window-less walls. Bob And Lynn are super-friendly and very accommodating.  If you contact them asking to make up a kit for you with more blank walls, if that is feasible for that kit, they will likely do that for you.  They have done that for me on couple occasions.
. . . 42 . . .