Author Topic: Platform height & wide locos  (Read 1703 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
Re: Platform height & wide locos
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 06:21:05 PM »
I am old fashioned, but my inclination would be to go with the width spec'ed by the NMRA standards gauge for platforms (11mm from track center in N scale).   If some equipment does not operate within NMRA specs for clearances, it will probably foul other things in addition to your platforms.   
https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/s-7_2012.02.pdf

You beat me to it .. thats what I use ...

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 08:02:07 PM »
Some more numbers

Richie Dost

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 05:02:51 AM »
AN expansionist query if ever there was one.

Why bother creating something around a hyperthetical reference standard when the real issue is- will my N-Scale locos that I have be able to pass?

What is wide? Wider than what? Prototype? Other models? Outrageously proportioned?
And why is it that only locos are being considered? Other rolling stock could be over sized/ out of proportion too.
Regds
dave

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 07:16:58 AM »
AN expansionist query if ever there was one.

Why bother creating something around a hyperthetical reference standard when the real issue is- will my N-Scale locos that I have be able to pass?

What is wide? Wider than what? Prototype? Other models? Outrageously proportioned?
And why is it that only locos are being considered? Other rolling stock could be over sized/ out of proportion too.
Regds
dave

That is unless the model manufacturers use the NMRA standard when developing their product.

https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/s-7_2012.02.pdf

Print the following attachment 1:1 on cardstock, cut it out and you can swing it along the track edge to move the platform to meet.  This was modeled to the N Scale NMRA track clearance gauge "Classic Dimensions" chart specified in the document above.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:29:02 AM by Lemosteam »