Author Topic: Test rig for FXD printed truck frames with metal axles.  (Read 2960 times)

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +54
Re: Test rig for FXD printed truck frames with metal axles.
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
@David K. Smith

Alt tag line for banner #2... "It's for science" 

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 07:25:12 PM »
+1
@Chris333 , @Mark W , @haasmarc , @narrowminded , @rodsup9000 , which one of you wants to print the same truck above in the gray or green and mail it to me, my cost of course?

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2018, 08:35:16 PM »
@Chris333 , @Mark W , @haasmarc , @narrowminded , @rodsup9000 , which one of you wants to print the same truck above in the gray or green and mail it to me, my cost of course?

Unfortunately I can't print until my new to me computer arrives.  I'm guessing a week but don't have a tracking number yet.  I'd be happy to try it if the need still exists at that point.

Looks like your test and tester was a success. 8)
Mark G.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2018, 08:42:13 PM »
+2
I can give it a try and toss in some HOn30 archbars. I'm guessing they will be tight, but you're already using the de-burr bit on the FXD trucks.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »
:facepalm:

I do love MB so....  and of course finding the failure point is a routine part of materials torture testing. 

Thanks for the math.    So that would be about equivalent to 100 cycles on a 3x6" roundy-round?  Seems a fair minimum test distance - at least to find wear issues.

Yep, one could go nuts here, if the wanted to have fun with it.  For example, we've not touched on the "proper" weight for the truck (spring tension) or real world track issue like frog crossings, stop and go, drag, and transitions to and from vertical curves ... etc, etc.  But it's your rig... we are just enjoying any results you are willing to produce with it!

Still, it would be interesting to see the performance of the truck off a Photon.  But it seems an archbar design like that by @Chris333 , and his pocket too, are more fragile than what you tested.   Totally get you were testing to a different objective - a specific design to address the level of your own concerns.   But to be able to draw meaningful conclusion re resin performance, or even use of FXD for trucks of ALL designs, a better test would be to take the most frail prototype one may use (@Chris333 archbars, perhaps?) and test head to head using both prints of FXD vs best challenger resin.

But no... I won't be "embittered" if you pass.   :D

It appears you will get your wish.

BTW, I actually tried to add 1oz of weight over the truck and because of the link geometry/cantilevers the weight kept making the truck derail, so I abandoned that.  I was serious though, watching that run in person replicated just about everything I have seen on poorly laid track.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
I am much more interested in the trucks durability though switches, bad track and derailments. I would love Fox trucks to replace the standard Andrews tender trucks Bachmann uses on everything, but very worried about durability.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away