Author Topic: Sound Decoders - Do you have them? How (often) are they used?  (Read 2834 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Sound Decoders - Do you have them? How (often) are they used?
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:37:30 AM »
Not to compete with @John 's poll... :ashat:

The forum chatter about sound is giving the impression that sound is a high priority for several modelers here. The pro/con debate is over, and while I can't speak for others, I know I'm feeling a little left out of the discussion because I have nothing to contribute, sound carries no interest for me for numerous reasons. Since folks like me have been silenced :D :facepalm: , anybody from the outside - manufacturers, for instance - look at the forum traffic about sound and can get the idea that "a serious modeler group", TRW, is spending a lot of time and energy making sound features work and trying to resolve issues, so therefore sound must be a high-priority, high-interest feature. I want to gauge from the group just how big a deal sound really is.

BLI and Bachmann, for instance, have taken off on this "everybody wants sound" impression generally from the industry, leaving the rest of us to pay for sound when we don't want it, the cost being both in initial price and operation challenges. Speaking purely for myself, given the "sound premium", it means if I want a certain model (BLI's UP-detailed E8s and PAs, for example), it means I buy just one instead of all offered road numbers, or, recently, troll eBay for "needs repair" when the sound decoder fails (Bachmann DDA40X). I replace the decoders on all of them with non-sound, which further increases my costs.

Anyway, enough of my thoughts... do you have sound-equipped models, do you use them every day, or only for visitors, train shows or other special occasions?

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
Re: Sound Decoders - Do you have them? How (often) are they used?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
+1
This is why I think producing sound only models is a poor business model. To go along with John's poll many of us have a preferred brand of decoder. So if a model is equipped with a competing brand you (I) don't want to buy it. It's too costly to replace to your preferred decoder. Then you have the no sound guys like your self. It's ridiculous to pay that premium for something you don't want. I think producing a sound ready model that has space for a quality speaker enclosure would be ideal for the hobby.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »
I prefer to listen to music while running trains.  For videos, I dub in real sounds anyway, so the sound decoders are wasted on me.  If I went with sound, I would use the headphone approach Lance Mindheim has advocated.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
+1
Clearly, I am one of those with sound in many locos; 25 of my 62 have LokSounds and 4 others have either Paragon (BLI) or Soundtraxx.   I plan 11 more LokSound installs, which includes 3 of the 4.  Some of the remainder are B units, which already have LokPilots, others are small switchers, or locos I just doubt I would want to mess with.

On the home layout, I love having the sound on as it adds a touch of realism to my running; sounding the horn at the crossings, brakes squealing when coming to a stop. And who can't smile when listening to an Alco "bucket-of-bolts" vs a smoother EMD diesel?  But, I also am judicious about its use, too much at once can drive you nuts.

At shows, N-scale sound normally gets washed out by ambient noise in the hall, but a horn/whistle blow can really bring out a smile on the kids. But, there are venues where the sounds can be heard, and it is neat to hear a loco "in the distance" when running on a large layout.  Plus, if you have flashing ditch lights, why would they activate unless there was a horn, too.

All that said, there are also times when silence is preferred (and what is cool about the ESUs is you can still have the horn sound even if all other sounds are off -- actually any sound slot -- if you want).  There is a wonderful feeling of just hearing the motor and wheels of the trains running around the layout.  And, I fully agree, sound is not for everyone, and some manufacturers are doing the hobby a disservice by forcing sound (and, in some cases, not worth the price sound) on us. 

Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 12:38:42 PM »
+1
I am a miniaturist.  If you saw me in person this would likely befuddle you (right @chicken45 ?) as my index finger is the same diameter as most N Scale steam boilers.

Anything that can be reproduced in miniature captures my interest,  this includes details, decoders, trains, LED's, animation, anything, including miniature SOUND. The BLI E-8 was my first sound equipped loco and I must admit, I am in LOVE, loud, soft, whatever. When I ran my K4 double headed with non synchronous chuffs at differing speeds and intervals, sometimes catching up with each other, well, love became lust.

I'm half deaf in both ears and as such i am not an audiophile so sound quality is lost on me, but you can bet that if my hearing was perfect, It would appeal to me more.

You can bet I will eventiually convert the remainder of my fleet over time. The only thing holding me back from that is relative cost (which is not to say the loss of my relatives  :D :D).

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
I do DCC installs and over 70% or more are sound installs.
With non sound install decoders costing more each day there is a balancing act has to which way to go.
The sound decoders are increasing too has more and more features are added.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
wasn't sure where the cutoff between a "few" and "many" would be, so I winged it.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 02:47:19 PM »
I really like having sound when I run.  It tends to make me run things at more realistically low speeds.  It provides something to focus on while making slow starts and stops.

That said, I am not much of a fan of most "factory installed" sound installations.  The sounds are often too low in volume and tinny.  BLI is an exception, they make good sound.  Bachmann is an example of what I don't appreciate.  The real issue is probably the price-point the manufacturers think they want to hit.  Striving for cheapness isn't going to make sound that is worth the price increase over DCC without sound.  So, I agree with many  here that the best way to make something cheap is to make "sound-ready" locos that have space for speakers.  If somebody is worried that means less pulling power, then sell those models with cast metal weights that fill the speaker voids until somebody wants to install a speaker.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »
+4
I'm a sound guy.  All 15 of my active steam locos and 25 out of 40 active diesels have ESU LokSound decoders in them.  I started down this road in 2013 and now can't imagine what operations with a silent layout would be like.  The sound in steamers slows everything down - when you hear the chuffs, you're not likely to perform switching moves at 40 mph.  Ditto for diesels when you hear the notching and the throttle-up sound.  Operators have learned to blow the whistle/horn and turn on the bell at appropriate times.  The yard is "alive."  I expect to see N-scale people walking around the roundhouse (hasn't happened yet . . . :)).

But I honestly wish manufacturers would make "sound ready" units instead of forcing sound upon us.  I want to do my own speaker installations (which are still better than anything from a manufacturer) and pick my own decoder.  Intermountain and Atlas have gone down this road.  Bachmann has gone down the "force 'em to take what we give 'em" path.  I will buy no more Bachmann locos because of that.  And I think those that don't want sound and don't want to pay extra for it deserve respect.  Give me a DCC-ready loco with a place for a speaker already milled out on the frame and I'd be tickled pink.  Or just a DCC ready loco that I would mill myself is fine.  Just don't foist stuff on me or anyone else that I don't want.

John C.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »
But I honestly wish manufacturers would make "sound ready" units instead of forcing sound upon us.
Just don't foist stuff on me or anyone else that I don't want.

Dilly dilly!
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »
Given the (excellent!) commentary about decoders being a matter of taste, I have edited the poll to reflect that option. You are encouraged to change your vote accordingly! Thanks, guys!

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »
But I honestly wish manufacturers would make "sound ready" units instead of forcing sound upon us.  I want to do my own speaker installations (which are still better than anything from a manufacturer) and pick my own decoder.  Intermountain and Atlas have gone down this road.  Bachmann has gone down the "force 'em to take what we give 'em" path.  I will buy no more Bachmann locos because of that.  And I think those that don't want sound and don't want to pay extra for it deserve respect.  Give me a DCC-ready loco with a place for a speaker already milled out on the frame and I'd be tickled pink.  Or just a DCC ready loco that I would mill myself is fine.  Just don't foist stuff on me or anyone else that I don't want.

John C.

For this reason I don't expect to buy any BLI F units or GE ES or EMD SD70ACe's.  I appreciate their work, but ESU is my sound decoder of choice and I can get those models from others with no sound (or with ESU in the case of the F7's).  I'm stuck when it came to the BLI M1a/b and the Bachmann K4s' and I expect to replace the factory decoders at some point.  And I'll probably buy a T1 despite the decoder. It's still cheaper than a brass and decoder install.   But I'd prefer a decoder-ready locomotive.

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
I have a few sound equipped units, and would like to have more. I would say it’s the cost that’s holding me back, but that’s not really true, because if I hadn’t decided to model a steel mill I think I could have equipped my entire 50+ locomotive fleet with ESU sound decoders!  :D
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 04:37:25 PM »
I voted just so the non-sound entry wasn't left feeling lonely. I am definitely a non-sound guy. I find model sound very annoying, and would never have it. Yes, I've heard it, and that's exactly why I feel the way I do--it's not because I'm some anti-technology modeler (which I've been accused of being, since I don't use DCC--zero need for it). I've been an audiophile for much of my life, and the awful sound produced by even the "best" sound units is worse than nails on a chalkboard. Even larger scale sound is annoying. I'm glad the locomotives I'm most interested in are unlikely to be made with sound, and if any of them are offered without a non-sound option, then no sale from me.

I don't have anything against those who like it--just please, if I should visit, shut it off...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:41:01 PM by David K. Smith »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 05:11:04 PM »
I have exactly two sound locomotives .. not sure how many more I might buy .. the first one came in my AC6600, and it wasn't too awful bad .. I think it works better in HO than N, but overall, it's not as annoying to me now as I once thought ..

History would repeat itself if manufacturers stopped supporting all facets of the hobby .. remember the DCC vs DC threads on Atlas (and others) . they got quite nasty at times ..

To me, this is a personal choice, and no one should feel that their way is the 100% right way ..