Author Topic: Sound Decoders  (Read 2190 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Sound Decoders
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:02:33 PM »
I'm curious what sound decoders you guys are most fond of .. please consider the requirements of price, features, ease of use. If you choose to comment, please keep it civil, and remember everyone has opinions that may not match yours.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3088
Re: Sound Decoders
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:09:35 PM »
I'm guessing this is across all scales ?

ESU is what I have in a few of my engines (N scale ) , so it's what I'm familiar with.  I have seen/heard others and they just don't meet up with ESU.  I've also experienced them in HO and O scale and they just seem that much harder to match in the bigger scales.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
+2
I voted "other" because I use ZIMO, ESU, and QSI (and 2 out of those 3 were not even listed).  I would have liked to have this poll being multiple choice (if it had a wider range of brands).

The poll does seem to be about N scale because for example TCS also makes sound decoders, and QSI only makes larger decoders which I can barely shoehorn in N scale tenders.

MRC has bad reputation, but I heard that they have improved. Digitrax to me is not even in the running. They have not yet really tried hard enough to embrace sound other than very basic and poorly configurable sound features.

Sound also seems to be a vary subjective thing - what sound ok to somebody might sound really crappy to another person. Also, some people are happy with just "good enough" and going for the low priced offerings.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:44:22 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »
I voted "other" because I use ZIMO, ESU, and QSI (and 2 out of those 3 were not even listed).  I would have liked to have this poll being multiple choice (if it had a wider range of brands).

fixed .. feel free to change your vote

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
fixed .. feel free to change your vote

Thanks - I did.  But I still think that for me a multiple choice would best reflect my opinion. 
. . . 42 . . .

AKNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:31:40 AM »
In N, certainly ESU for me. I've had experience with 4 of these. MRC and Digitrax, to me, are way behind the curve. Tsunami are ok, but I've found ESU easier to work with, fully customizable(I don't remember Tsunamis being as fully customizable, correct me if I'm wrong please), and I'm quite fond of ESU's library. Especially with sound, you get what you pay for...

As of right now I'm replacing the capacitors on 4 Digitrax sound decoders to try and eliminate the dubbed, "Digitrax Stall" for our show starting Friday. They've been problematic since installed 2 years ago...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:37:59 AM by AKNscale »

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
+2
I use ESU exclusively.  In the past, I tried Soundtraxx Tsunami, and Zimo.  The new Tsunami 2 is a fine decoder, but I think ESU's sound files are better - they are specific recordings of specific prime movers/engines and capture the real thing in a way that no one else does, IMHO.  I also like the fact that ESU's decoders are completely programmable - if they upgrade a sound file (as they have many times in the past), you just download the new version to your decoder, and off you go.  Not possible with Soundtraxx.

Right now, ESU hits the sweet spot with their technical sophistication, sound quality, programmability and customer support.  There is really nothing out there that competes overall.  Zimo may be a little technically better, but their US prototype sound files are lacking and they don't have the support infrastructure ESU does.  Soundtraxx is excellent, and I really like their built-in equalizer, but you cannot upgrade/change sound files, and their sound files don't cover the broad range in diesels that ESU's does, and don't cover specific locomotive models.  Digitrax uses programmable sound files, but lacks a comprehensive library of those, and seems to be relying mostly on end users to do decent sound files.  TCS's WOW! doesn't come in an N scale version; neither does QSI. 

If you want the best, right now that's ESU.  Next year, who knows?  This is a very fast-changing field.

John C.

lyled1117

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 10:48:57 AM »
I'm with Peteski in his assessment of some of the decoder lines available. I can't comment on all of them, just what I have access to. I've been installing decoders for over twenty years professionally and otherwise so I have had the ability to accumulate some knowledge of them. For myself, ESU is my first choice and I use them predominantly, Soundtraxx 2nd. While I have had access to TCS', I haven't used them enough to have a strong opinion yet. A coworker swears by them FWIW.

Lyle

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
Where can you buy ESU products? Their site says they only sell direct, but there are no prices on their site.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
Where can you buy ESU products? Their site says they only sell direct, but there are no prices on their site.

Streamlined Backshop (sbs4dcc.com), Litchfield Station, etc. Even MBK
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »

Also Yankee Dabbler on Ebay.  Or email Rob at DCCTrain Dot Com in Cincinnati.  They do mail order. That's where I used to get almost all my decoders when I lived there. @iccn1000  Tell him John R send ya.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »
Yankee does have a regular site also.

yankeedabbler.com

"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »

That is confusing.  Like others said, many online vendors sell ESU products.
. . . 42 . . .

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 06:11:43 PM »
Actually, it very clearly states they do not sell directly to the end customer . The yellow highlighting is on the web site

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »
Guess I was going by this: