Author Topic: ESU Lokpilot Micro Direct  (Read 5073 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: ESU Lokpilot Micro Direct
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
Mine says it's version 4.6.1. Just did an update (or thought I did) but it still says it's 4.6.1. What did you do to get version 4.6.2?

Also, Has anyone gotten Drive Hold to work using the 54650 board? Not the regular V4 Micro version, the new slide-in 54650 board?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:17:38 PM by tehachapifan »

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »
+1
Mine says it's version 4.6.1. Just did an update (or thought I did) but it still says it's 4.6.1. What did you do to get version 4.6.2?

Downloaded directly from the ESU site and forced the update.

Unfortunately, I have not touched or seen one of these boards, yet.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »
Downloaded directly from the ESU site and forced the update.

Unfortunately, I have not touched or seen one of these boards, yet.

OK, success! Did the 4.6.2 download manually and now Drive Hold now appears in the Logical Function pull-downs. It also appears to be working properly on the layout. Interesting that I could get it to work with my regular V4 Micro using version 4.6.1, but all good now. Thanks! :D

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »
Thanks for all that Rick, John, Russ.  Bookmarked for further reference.
Steve

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »
Do you have any pics of your file and card setup?

Here’s a pic of all the tools I use.
The file card is 45 years old but still does its job well.  The file card material comes originally just on the canvass backing in huge rolls. You just cut a bit off and glue it to a suitable block, as Per picture.  I’m guessing this stuff is still available from tool supply houses and possibly even ready to run in similar size and already on a backing board. If you know a machine/metal shop they should know.  Unless this is all too ancient technology now. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:29:44 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 02:33:59 PM »
^ LOL.   LOVE IT!
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »
OK, success! Did the 4.6.2 download manually and now Drive Hold now appears in the Logical Function pull-downs. It also appears to be working properly on the layout. Interesting that I could get it to work with my regular V4 Micro using version 4.6.1, but all good now. Thanks! :D

Just looking at the ESU site. 4.6.2 contains firmware release 4.16.9247 and was released in December.  The prior firmware, 4.16.9246, was first released in software 4.5.3 in June, so predates the release of the LokPilot Micro Direct.  4.6 and 4.6.1 continued to have the 9246 firmware.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »
Do you have any pics of your file and card setup?

File Card is a (silly) name for a file-cleaning brush.  :|

. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 03:12:46 PM »
Here’s a pic of all the tools I use.
The file card is 45 years old but still does its job well.  The file card material comes originally just on the canvass backing in huge rolls. You just cut a bit off and glue it to a suitable block, as Per picture.  I’m guessing this stuff is still available from tool supply houses and possibly even ready to run in similar size and already on a backing board. If you know a machine/metal shop they should know.  Unless this is all too ancient technology now. (Attachment Link)

I just googled “file cleaner” (file card just got all sorts of administrative stuff) and yes these things are still available at HOme Depot, Amazon and others.  They come already mounted on nice looking wooden or plastic handles/blocks.
Seems this ancient technology has not been lost to time after-all. I would suggest get a wooden one as you do put a lot of pressure on when using it, so unless the plastic variety is really well made the handle may break.
Steve

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
File Card is a (silly) name for a file-cleaning brush.  :|

Those bristles look a little long and too flexible perhaps to do a good metal file clean with minimal effort. :?
Maybe that’s the difference between a file cleaning brush and a file card. So maybe not such a silly name after all.  :D :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:54:22 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »
Here is the one I would get.   on Amazon. Osborn International 75116SP Steel File Card, 3-3/4" Brush Area Length
Osborn International $9.56.

Made in USA too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J06IPQG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_vg0IAb0FF1YCF
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:35:20 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
Those bristles look a little long and too flexible perhaps to do a good metal file clean with minimal effort. :?
Maybe that’s the difference between a file cleaning brush and a file card. So maybe not such a silly name after all.  :D :D

That was a photo of a file card.  :|  I have one of those too, and use it for cleaning my larger files. The wire brush I use for jewelers files looks like a large toothbrush with metal bristles.

Edit:  Um, it looks like after all these years I learned something new. The file brush I thought was a file card is just a file brush. Wile it is different than a "regular" wire brush, but not a file card.  File card seems to have mire densely packed straight wire bristles.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:48:50 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 06:17:48 PM »
Hi Pete,
I was just pulling your chain a bit, in fun.
I have a wicked sense of humor I’m afraid.
Yeah, you got it. The file card does have a lot stiffer, shorter, densely packed straight bristles. They used to be, and I guess still are numbered. I seem to recall a #4 was the one we used most and is the one I have that will probably out live me. For the life of me I can’t recall the numbering scale, but I guess the old interweb has it somewhere.  The one I have is best on medium and fine files and really good at getting that soft metal of loco frames out of the file teeth in double quick time.  The tooth brush one you mention is best on jewelers files.  Come to that I clean my jewelers files with a dense fine brass bristled brush, similar to the ones made donkeys years ago for cleaning my blue suede shoes or suede of any color.  :D
The looser and longer and sometimes dog-legged bristled file brushes were used on course “bastard” files.  Now that’s a name that always prompted a giggle from us youngsters during my apprenticeship. :D
One trick to help limit slow down the file getting clogged up is to rub regular old chalk on the file first.
  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:04:44 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
Wow, you can pick up these 54650 boards for a song right now! :o At these prices, I had to pick up a few more! ;)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:29:57 PM by tehachapifan »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
Wow, you can pick up these 54650 boards for a song right now! :o At these prices, I had to pick up a few more! ;)

That doesn't surprise me - they are just plain non-sound decoders. I would expect them to be priced similarly to other non-sound medium-size decoders from ESU. Or are you saying that those 54650 are really inexpensive (like $16)?
. . . 42 . . .