Author Topic: Sound volume way too low...  (Read 1040 times)

Tgallagh

• Respect: 0
Sound volume way too low...
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:53:25 AM »
Hello,

I have a number of Walthers P2K and Intermountain F units where the sound volume is way too low.  All have factory installed DCC and sound.  I am using JMRI Software and a PR3 to program them.   Still too quiet.

Anyone have this issue before?

Thanks,

Tim

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Sound volume way too low...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »
Interesting question...

I find sound decoders are normally set way too HIGH and need to be turned down.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 03:08:55 PM »
Do you have other sound-equipped locos and their volume is satisfactory?

Gong back to the units in question, is the volume too low for all the sounds (engine, horns, bell, etc.) or just for one specific sound?  You also didn't say what exactly you have tried so far to increase the volume.  :|

Did you check or try to adjust the CVs responsible vor master volume and the volume of individual sounds?  Most decoders have that capability. Some decoders also have a physical potentiometer on the decoder which can be turned to adjust the master volume (like a volume control on a portable radio). 
You should figure out what brand the decoder is (JMRI DecoderPRO should tell you that), then download a full manual for it to see what can be done about the volume.
If none of this works then maybe the speaker itself is the problem.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +563
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »
I am having a similar probem with an N scale Model Power 2-6-0 with factory sound.  The "Quick Start" instructions say that F14 increases sound by a factor of 2 and F13 decreases sound by a factor of 2.  But, so far as I have tried that with my NCE Powercab, neither F13 nor F14 seems to have any effect.  Since the Powercab requires pressing the "Option" key to make the F3 and F4 buttons send F13 and F14 signals, I am not sure right now where my problem lies.  Will try later with JMRI at the club.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »
Try to find a full decoder manual and then just adjust the various volume CVs directly on the programming track or program them on main.
. . . 42 . . .

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 06:45:04 PM »
I have some Bachmann locos, out of the box sound is very loud. Lowered all the CVs, to the same value, but some were silll louder than the others. So I downloaded a decibel app to my phone. I set them all to the same dB. The CVs are different