Author Topic: New Intermountain SD40-2 issues  (Read 1984 times)

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
New Intermountain SD40-2 issues
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:49:48 AM »
 Only recently receiving my sound equipped Intermountain SD40-2 snoot from MBK I thought I should at the very least give it a run. So after adding the chassis detail like on another thread I took it to a friends layout today to do just that.
Had to get rid of the blackened wheels and even then!
 Well it would not run correctly, it would only go in fits and starts, and by pushing down on the cab seemed to help. Dam I thought I had done something wrong so off with the cab to see if we could get it to perform as expected.
Took off cab, ran beautifully, so what have I done, nothing that we could see.
 The sound decoder when touched ever so lightly rocked in all for fixing locations in the frame cutting off the power. (well we have all seen this before with Atlas SD50/60s).
So armed with a really good soldering iron, young Brendan (he has better eyes than me) added a very small amount of solder to the front two tabs of the decoder and voila no more rocking.
Loco fires up like it should with and without the body fitted and now runs as it should.
Story a loose fitting ESU Loksound decoder in the frame now fixed.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

Billg

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Re: New Intermountain SD40-2 issues
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »
Thanks for that advice Rod!  I haven't had the shell off of mine yet but now it looks like I'll have to.  I'm not very pleased with the way it runs compared to my Katos.

We'll see....

Bill
Bill W.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 12:18:24 AM »
+1
Guys,
     We all rush to get the loco/freight car/structure on the layout. Holding our breath...yay!!.....crap...what happened!!

Yes I know we pay good hard earned money for something that should be perfect. But..nope it takes some tweaking. And after all is said and done..we learned something new and increased our modeling skills.

Now I know what to look for..( insert any manufacture here) I can fix the issue, and if I do not know...I have the massive interwebs to conduct research on.

I like the three I have..looking to get more.

Y-it

Billg

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:24:42 AM »
Guys,
     We all rush to get the loco/freight car/structure on the layout. Holding our breath...yay!!.....crap...what happened!!

Yes I know we pay good hard earned money for something that should be perfect. But..nope it takes some tweaking. And after all is said and done..we learned something new and increased our modeling skills.

Now I know what to look for..( insert any manufacture here) I can fix the issue, and if I do not know...I have the massive interwebs to conduct research on.

Y-it

Couldn't agree more!  I also like the IM -2 even though it has a few issues.  The biggest is the Keep Alive (in my opinion).  Now that that's been remedied I like it even more.  Not quite up to Kato's "smoothness" but, with the help of this forum, it'll get there....
Bill W.

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:40:05 PM »
+5
Guys,

Y-it

Well, if you don't mind paying for the privilege of working on a brand new model, that's up to you.  Settling for inferior quality is not an option, as far as I'm concerned.  Sure, there are always going to be the odd ones that have issues but the vast majority of these IM -2's seem to have them.  That's just plain wrong.  Brushing off the problems is simply telling the manufacturer, or in this case the seller, that it's ok to put low quality stuff out there.  It's not ok.  If IM expects the modeller to have to work on these locos to get them to run properly, they should call them 'kits' and charge forty bucks for them.

Doug

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 09:31:34 PM »
Check out this post. On page 9.  I just got my -2 going like it should
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40941.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:33:18 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
Yes thanks.  I just thought it would be helpful for fixing the the issues with this loco.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:22:09 AM by Steveruger45 »
Steve