Author Topic: shorten gap between Kato F units  (Read 4580 times)

sixpakpop

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: shorten gap between Kato F units
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 09:31:24 AM »
+1
Um, anything is possible with time travel.  How do you think we got cell phones in the first place?  Spock and Kirk left a tri-corder behind.   :D :D :trollface: :facepalm:

I bet it was  McCoy. In the future, he has a history of doing that.
OOO
OOO <~~~the SixPak sig~~

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 11:15:44 AM »
I like that idea, but I think it is faulty.  If H0 didn't get introduced, we would all still be running 0 scale trains on 3-rails.  :facepalm:  And we couldn't just jump from 0 right to N, because the small electric motors of the time are too large to fit into 1:160 scale models.   I know, I am being logical again.   :)

If HO didn't get introduced, some of us would have given up on 3 rail toys and moved on to something else.

We'd also have many less HO modeling articles that are often applicable to N, e.g. how to use models of prototypes A and B that are available in both HO and N to build a model of prototype C that isn't available in N.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:17:46 AM by cjm413 »

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2018, 11:29:15 AM »
CJM413 - The birth of close enough modeling?

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
CJM413 - The birth of close enough modeling?

A long time ago, in a basement far, far away, O once had a larger market share than HO, partially due to the fact that O had a larger availability of products and parts that could be used to build accurate models.

However, there were a good number of "rebels" that declared O to be Oversized and started working with some of the newer Half Oversized models that were becoming available as an acceptable compromise.

There's no need to elaborate on the rest of the story...provided that Homer Simpson doesn't travel back in time and kills a prehistoric fish... :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:09:11 PM by cjm413 »

bobthebear

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
If you are happy with permanent coupling try these:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WQVAFUZJU/n-scale-8mm-fixed-coupling?optionId=41000199
Work well and come in various lengths.
Cheers, Bob.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »
+1
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WQVAFUZJU/n-scale-8mm-fixed-coupling?optionId=41000199
Cheers, Bob.

If someone wants that option, first tell the designer to redo the file to connect those parts in the drawing.  Half the price is from the separate pieces.

On that note, someone should design a draw bar like that but one that actually looks like two couplers.  I've considered this for my Atlas and Athearn coal cars.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:57:21 PM by wcfn100 »

bobthebear

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »
They do come connected. That is just a digital image of individual ones.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »

On that note, someone should design a draw bar like that but one that actually looks like two couplers.  I've considered this for my Atlas and Athearn coal cars.

Jason

The IM FT's actually have semi-permanent AB drawbars with a coupler "bulge" in the center, and they couple nice and close. I always thought that was a good idea for other applications as well.
Otto K.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »
I like that idea, but I think it is faulty.  If H0 didn't get introduced, we would all still be running 0 scale trains on 3-rails.  :facepalm:  And we couldn't just jump from 0 right to N, because the small electric motors of the time are too large to fit into 1:160 scale models.   I know, I am being logical again.   :)

HO has served its purpose just like the horse and buggy. Time to go the way of the dodo bird!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2018, 11:40:50 PM »
Cheers, Bob.

I had actually done this in the past by cutting the tail off two Rapidos and running a wire thru them to make a connector just like the Shapeways product.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA