Author Topic: Is this the train mounted camera we've been waiting for?  (Read 2496 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Is this the train mounted camera we've been waiting for?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »
I notice in the video that there is a RE/PlayXD set up on a tripod at the end of the yard.
Granted it is too large to conceal however that was never my intention when I made the purchase, I wanted good image quality.
 Rod.

For me it is just the opposite: I want to have the camera concealed  in a model. That increases the WOW factor at train shows, or even during operating sessions. Like you said, we have different goals. But if I could find a small wireless unit which produced a solid quality HD video, I would be all over it.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
Re: Is this the train mounted camera we've been waiting for?
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
The lens diameter in the system I have is only 0.020"
Peteski

Wow, that is only 3-1/4 scale inches.  I have some real camera glass with bigger lenses than that. 

The interesting thing about making the lens and "film" tiny is that it tends to give a much more realistic perspective to the images produced, both in the apparent lengths of subjects and in depth-of-field that is in-focus.  The ability to make tiny, but densely pixilated sensors has made that possible.

Now, if Petski can just make a Wifi camera that is a "drop-in" replacement for the headlight on my N scale E series passsenger engines ....