Author Topic: AMB NYC cabeeses  (Read 1556 times)

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +268
AMB NYC cabeeses
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:47:31 PM »
Just saw on their (American Model Builders) website that they are doing NYC cabooses in N scale. Not something I need but nice to see them rolling out more N scale cabooses.

Tom L
Wellington CO

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
Re: AMB NYC cabeeses
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 05:09:00 PM »
Woot!!!  I'm sure I wasn't the only one to email them about this but I am sure glad they listened.  P&LE wooden cabeese incoming...

The Mon Valley in N Scale

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 07:15:43 PM »
+1
Oh great. They do it just after I finally found one of the old feather river kits. In all seriousness, this is great. When I spoke with AMB they said that the NYC Caboose was the most requested kit they haven’t done in n scale. I guess those emails do pay off. I also requested the Lehigh Valley and the Atlantic Coast Line Caboose they make. They said the more they hear from n scalers the better chance that we have to getting the kits we want.

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:14:42 PM »
NYC caboose, as in low-cupola like the Robert Ray kit?    Link?
 Thanks,
 Joe D

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +344
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 12:48:24 AM »
+1
Nice! Now if they only produce an N Scale version of their LV copula caboose in N Scale....The Pacific Electric bought a few of them....

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 01:56:29 PM »
HOLY HELL YES!!!!  :D Thanks for the good news. I had just given up trying to kit bash one out of a Roundhouse/Athearn three window wooden caboose.

Nickel Plate Road in Bellevue Layout: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40849.0

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:27:50 PM »
NYC caboose, as in low-cupola like the Robert Ray kit?    Link?
 Thanks,
 Joe D

19000 series
http://www.laserkit.com/n.htm

Mark

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 09:33:14 PM »
Found them last night. Laserkit.com threw me for a while. Kept searching for AMB. Hopefully, someday a plastic R-T-R version will be made.
 Joe D

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »
Would anyone know if production had started for these, and shipped out to hobby shops or online retailers yet?

Nickel Plate Road in Bellevue Layout: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40849.0

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +611
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:00:40 PM »
+1
I think these are close enough to try modeling this:  8)

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2459698

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 12:34:35 AM »
Would anyone know if production had started for these, and shipped out to hobby shops or online retailers yet?

I've been keeping an eye out at the usual suspects (BLW, Klein's, N Scale Supply) and haven't seen them listed yet.  But you can order direct from AMB, so it seems like the kits are good to go.  Been meaning to call Klein's and see if they would special order one or two but other things are getting in the way right now.

The Mon Valley in N Scale

Brian M

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
    • Hudson Valley Lines
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »
+1
I ordered mine through the NYCS Historical Society's store and got them last week or maybe the week before.  I don't know when I'll get around to building them, as I'm trying very hard to stay focused on layout work, but they look like fun kits.  I also have some un-built Robert Ray kits, but I haven't compared the two side by side yet to see how they compare (dimensions and part counts, etc).

Here's the link to them in the NYCSHS store:
http://www.nycshs.net/AMB-N-Scale-NYCS-19000-Wood-Caboose-Kit_p_1126.html

It would also be great if AMB offers the Pacemaker caboose in N.  The Society has worked with AMB on the various NYC HO kits in the past, so there might be a chance of prodding them to do their other HO NYC cabooses in N scale.

-Brian.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
Brian,
  Please take a look at this kit and Ray kit, and let us know any differences in materials. Would the end railings be wood, or laser etched metal?
 Thanks,
 Joe D

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 10:24:56 AM »
I bought their NW cab recently.   Just from looking at the parts sheet,  the end railings are wood, but they're much finer than the Ray kit.  You'll be happy with it.   The sides aren't as good.  AMB makes their sides with a laser.   Ray made his with scribed siding and then laser cut around the edges.  So the AMB car looks more corrugated,  but it passes the 2 foot rule.  The kit seems more intuitive than the Ray car, and the resin steps are a good improvement. 

I assume the nyc car is similar to the nw car.  If that's so, the ideal car for me would be a Ray body, AMB underframe, end railings and details. And AMB instructions.   

Overall, I'd rate the AMB kit style (haven't seen the nyc  one in person yet) better.  we'll see if that opinion  holds up when I build it.
Aaron Bearden

Brian M

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
    • Hudson Valley Lines
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 02:43:27 PM »
+1
I was able to dig out one of my unbuilt Robert Ray 19000 kits this morning.  I laid the various parts out with the AMB kit's parts so people can see how they compare.  As Aaron stated, the AMB end railings are much finer.  One other detail difference is that the AMB kit uses laser cut wood for the under-body truss rods, whereas the Ray kit includes very fine wire to use for the truss rods.  Kind of interesting to see how the two kits stack up next to each other.  Anyway, here are the pictures.  First is of the two kits side by side.  The Ray kit is on the left, AMB on the right:

And a close up of the end rails, again Ray on the left and AMB on the right:

Hope that helps.

-Brian.