Author Topic: The Mating of the Worms - The Beginning of the End... Let's See Your PC!  (Read 11123 times)

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +54
Re: The Mating of the Worms - The Beginning of the End... Let's See Your PC!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »
Yes, by all means.... back to mating of the worms!

And as the worm turns... we just know in classic TRW fashion, someone is just itching to chime in to correctly state this is just one worm, mating with a worm gear...not two worms....but I digress from this digression of a digression.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 02:10:02 PM »
Jbub:  Thank you for the clarification!

SandyEggoJake:  Considering the wide gender differences in some species, are we sure that the "worm" and "worm gear" aren't opposite genders of the same species?  After all, they always seem to occur together, and it's hard to imagine one without the other.

N Kalanaga
Be well

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Gender differences?  Technically, worms are obligate hermaphrodites. 

Predicting next TRW thread drift in 3....2....

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »
Gender differences?  Technically, worms are obligate hermaphrodites. 

Predicting next TRW thread drift in 3....2....

Ok, I'll bite (like a fish on a worm).  :D

Couldn't hermaphrodites still copulate (mate)?  :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 01:28:23 AM »
Peteski:  Most do, yes, and most CAN'T mate with themself, so they still need two partners.  But unlike the worm/worm gear, both hermaphrodite partners would be functionally identical, and either could play the part of male or female at a given time.

Quite efficient, actually, as the species gets the benefit of sexual gene mixing, and every member can produce offspring, just like the asexual organisms.  I'm a little surprised it isn't more common in nature.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »
+3
                  :|  Late to the party, but here is my Pen Central Gondola. Nate Goodman (Nato). Dig that PL&E  switcher.  :|

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »
Great to see that old Trix car in revenue service!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 01:08:18 PM »
+4
@nkalanaga

>I'm a little surprised it isn't more common in nature.

An interesting point, though cooperative species do often derive survival benefits from sexual dimorphism (beyond mere mate attraction).  Examples would include in the mammals, the gorilla, with females and their offspring protected from harm via predation by the might of an alpha male Silverback and his ability to retain a large harem.   

Of course, there are other types of hermaphrodites, beyond the obligate, like the worm, which do not have sexual dimorphism and retain both parts throughout their lives, yet cannot self copulate.  Some fish, like California Sheepshead are protogynous hermaphrodites, which all start life as a lady, but when a community is lacking a man, the most dominate female literally "grows a pair".

But why bother with copulation if you can be like a Spotted Whiptail lizard or the marmorkrebs crayfish that produce offspring without the hassle of finding a mate (parthenogenesis)....

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »
+1
@nkalanaga

>I'm a little surprised it isn't more common in nature.

An interesting point, though cooperative species do often derive survival benefits from sexual dimorphism (beyond mere mate attraction).  Examples would include in the mammals, the gorilla, with females and their offspring protected from harm via predation by the might of an alpha male Silverback and his ability to retain a large harem.   

Of course, there are other types of hermaphrodites, beyond the obligate, like the worm, which do not have sexual dimorphism and retain both parts throughout their lives, yet cannot self copulate.  Some fish, like California Sheepshead are protogynous hermaphrodites, which all start life as a lady, but when a community is lacking a man, the most dominate female literally "grows a pair".

But why bother with copulation if you can be like a Spotted Whiptail lizard or the marmorkrebs crayfish that produce offspring without the hassle of finding a mate (parthenogenesis)....

I nominate this post for the most OT post of the year! Funny, yet very educational.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 01:26:05 AM »
+2
"But why bother with copulation if you can be like a Spotted Whiptail lizard or the marmorkrebs crayfish that produce offspring without the hassle of finding a mate (parthenogenesis)...."

A good point.  The only advantage I can see to mating is that you'd still have genetic mixing, which should benefit the species, in the long run. 

On the other hand, parthenogenesis has the advantage that any one member could continue the species, making it very hard to exterminate.  If one has a fairly high mutation rate, combined with a high birth rate, that could also ensure genetic diversity.  Or, if you live in a very stable environment, and face few dangers, diversity might be less important.
N Kalanaga
Be well

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »
God I learn so much on TRW!   :D

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
Everything I always wanted to know about worms*

*But was afraid to ask.

:D

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
Here's a couple of shots of my Treble-O-Lectric FP7 I painted into Penn Central. Lone Star did not offer it in this road name/livery (mainly because the Penn Central didn't exist at the time Treble-O-Lectric was manufactured :D). This one was originally Union Pacific but by the time I got it off eBay, it had been painted over in a green paint. So, I didn't sully a collectible. :D

Doug
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:53:38 AM by Doug G. »
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
OOh, I forgot.

These photos are Railwire AF. They're shot on the M&O by @John, with a trio of power, 2/3 of which was formerly owned by @Dave V and @wm3798 with a load of Lee's former cars as well.

There's another shot here that loops in two MORE Railwire members too: http://conrail1285.com/a-visit-to-my-friend-johns-mo/

...nice looking layout...

Mark in Oregon

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Here's a couple of shots of my Treble-O-Lectric FP7 I painted into Penn Central. Lone Star did not offer it in this road name/livery. This one was originally Union Pacific but by the time I got it off eBay, it had been painted over in a green paint. So, I didn't sully a collectible. :D

Doug

Is that all OOO equipment on the layout?

I always wanted to do an N scale layout using only supplies and equipment from the early 1960's
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away