Author Topic: DCC - reverse direction for 2 locos back to back  (Read 1505 times)

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
DCC - reverse direction for 2 locos back to back
« on: June 09, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
What is the simplest way to reverse the direction of one loco so I can run 2 Rapido FL9s back to back as the NH did?
I have not yet changed the loco addresses. Do I consist them?  Do I still need to reverse one of the locos?
Thanks for any help.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
Re: DCC - reverse direction for 2 locos back to back
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 03:19:27 PM »
What is the simplest way to reverse the direction of one loco so I can run 2 Rapido FL9s back to back as the NH did?
I have not yet changed the loco addresses. Do I consist them?  Do I still need to reverse one of the locos?
Thanks for any help.

What kind of DCC system are you using?

On my Digitrax system, I just consist them with one engine running forward and the other running in reverse.  Done.  Pretty much the same for the NCE systems I've used, and I expect it is the same for other DCC systems, too.

John C.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 05:13:51 PM »
If you’re using JMRI, there’s a drop down, usually under the “basic” tab for “normal direction of locomotive.” Set the rear locomotive to “reverse.” If you’re not using JMRI, check the decoder CV sheet. It should be a simple CV value change. Then consist them, and you’re good to go.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 05:51:13 PM »
 On my NCE system, Powercab, when you consist two or more locos from the cab you get to choose what direction is normal for each loco in consist while working through the consist setup menu sequence.
Steve

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
I consisted my original pair, as they always will run together, and used the train# (26 in my case for the Merchants Limited) as the consist#.  Only the lead unit has sound, so I first had to change the decoder in the non-sound unit to the ESU non-sound equivalent of the LokSound decoder to get them to sync up properly.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »
If you don't want to consist them, you can set them both to the same address and set the "reverse" bit in CV29in the reverse-running unit.
While it is a very common misconception that this setting only reverses the motor's direction, it is not true. The Direction bit on CV29 reverses everything (motor and headlights).
. . . 42 . . .

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 08:05:22 PM »
I've a couple MGA GP38's using Digitrax DN163A0 decoders that are always paired together.  I programmed them to the same number. Then on one of them I read CV29, then simply added a "1" to that value and stored it.  This reversed the locomotive and lighting.  I printed off a cheat sheet that I keep at the club for stuff like this.  If you have access to JMRI, then you only have to find the basic tab and change the normal direction of travel on one of them as mentioned if they are programmed to the same number.  If you do not wish to use the same locomotive number, when you consist them you would put them back to back and get them running in the direction you wish, then just consist them.  Basically you will have one running in reverse and one running forwards for consisting purposes. I'll add that all my DCC experience is on Digitrax products.  So that's what I am familiar with. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:08:05 PM by bman »

dougnelson

• Crew
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 10:32:47 PM »
Thanks - consisting worked. I use digitrax.  There is another issue however. My new FL9 seems to have a bit of an electric pickup issue in several spots. When that happens the throttle trips to 00 speed so I am constantly resetting the speed. This did not happen when the ran with identical addresses. Anyone else have pickup problems with their FL9?

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
Thanks - consisting worked. I use digitrax.  There is another issue however. My new FL9 seems to have a bit of an electric pickup issue in several spots. When that happens the throttle trips to 00 speed so I am constantly resetting the speed. This did not happen when the ran with identical addresses. Anyone else have pickup problems with their FL9?

Do you have only one throttle or multiple throttles?  If you have multiple throttles, check to make sure that the new FL9's address is NOT selected on one of the other throttles.  I don't think this is an electrical pickup problem; I think it is an address conflict problem.

John C. 

dougnelson

• Crew
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 12:53:33 AM »
Do you have only one throttle or multiple throttles?  If you have multiple throttles, check to make sure that the new FL9's address is NOT selected on one of the other throttles.  I don't think this is an electrical pickup problem; I think it is an address conflict problem.

John C.

John- Bingo!  I have a Zephyr Extra and a DT402.  Both had the address of the consist. When I changed the address on the Zephyr, that solved the problem of the DT402 throttle tripping to speed 0.  There may still be a pickup issue, but this makes it much easier to deal with.
Thank you!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 12:58:48 AM »
Ohhhhh Digitrax...   :| :facepalm:
~Ian

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614