Author Topic: Bachmann Decoder Swap : 44 ton or 4-6-0  (Read 3056 times)

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
Re: Bachmann Decoder Swap : 44 ton or 4-6-0
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Throwing my 2 pennies worth into this.

I too, replace "all" of my Bachmann decoder equipped locomotives with Digitrax DZ123MO's. Sure makes a world of a difference.

Here is a 44 ton install.

Thanks,
Wolf

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »
+1
I put an ESU LokPilot Micro v.4 in a 44-tonner for a friend.  Much better performance.

On the steam side, I have replaced every Bachmann decoder with an ESU LokSound and a better speaker.  There's simply no comparison, sound- or performance-wise.  This is one of the reasons I probably won't buy any more Bachmann locos - I have to pay for the DCC installation twice.  Once when I buy it, and once when I tear it out and put in something worthwhile.

John C.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »
+1

I too, replace "all" of my Bachmann decoder equipped locomotives with Digitrax DZ123MO's. Sure makes a world of a difference.

Thanks,
Wolf

THIS. I did this with mine along time ago and the performance was dramatically improved. So well when you can crawl ties (scale) inches at a time. The 44T motor IMHO is a great motor with the right decoder.

The S.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1776
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
I put an ESU LokPilot Micro v.4 in a 44-tonner for a friend.  Much better performance.

On the steam side, I have replaced every Bachmann decoder with an ESU LokSound and a better speaker.  There's simply no comparison, sound- or performance-wise.  This is one of the reasons I probably won't buy any more Bachmann locos - I have to pay for the DCC installation twice.  Once when I buy it, and once when I tear it out and put in something worthwhile.

John C.

THIS.
I am 100% dead against this continuing stampede of offering locos only "fully equipped".   They are shoveling unwanted electronics out the door and taking in cash for it.  Offering engines two ways: DCC "ready" and DCC "equipped" would not be very hard.  The "ready" ones could be just like the "equipped" ones, just without a decoder or speaker plugged in (and for a lower cost).

brill27mcb

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 05:42:47 PM »
If you think back, you might remember that Model Railroader magazine and others spent years harping that all manufacturers should offer Kadee (Micro Trains in N) compatible couplers and skip the NMRA X2F (and Rapido-style in N) couplers. In the same manner, they (and I think the NMRA Bulletin too) later implored manufacturers to include DCC in their locomotives, so it wouldn't have to be a custom, added-cost installation for skilled modelers, and the hobby "newbie" could get the benefit, too.

Bachmann, a mass-market producer, stepped up and responded to this plea, and now we slam them for doing so. I know people have their various issues with Bachmann, but let's at least also give them credit for doing what major voices in the hobby media wanted manufacturers to do.

Rich K.
Tomix / EasyTrolley Modelers' Website
www.trainweb.org/tomix
N-Gauge Model Trolleys and Their History
www.trainweb.org/n-trolleys

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »
In the same manner, they (and I think the NMRA Bulletin too) later implored manufacturers to include DCC in their locomotives, so it wouldn't have to be a custom, added-cost installation for skilled modelers, and the hobby "newbie" could get the benefit, too.

Bachmann, a mass-market producer, stepped up and responded to this plea, and now we slam them for doing so. I know people have their various issues with Bachmann, but let's at least also give them credit for doing what major voices in the hobby media wanted manufacturers to do.

Rich K.

I can't say that I remember any imploring, but I doubt that they said to only offer DCC locomotives.

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 06:22:23 PM »
What is the NMRA?  :D

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 07:49:44 PM »
THIS.
I am 100% dead against this continuing stampede of offering locos only "fully equipped".   They are shoveling unwanted electronics out the door and taking in cash for it.  Offering engines two ways: DCC "ready" and DCC "equipped" would not be very hard.  The "ready" ones could be just like the "equipped" ones, just without a decoder or speaker plugged in (and for a lower cost).
The whole reason I didn't buy a Big Boy or Challenger, it was pre-equipped with a decoder that I didn't want. I'm partial to ESU and like installing my own decoders. I realize I'm not the majority of the market, but making a loco DCC sound READY that runs on DC would simplify inventory making it easier to sell to all.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 09:39:22 PM »
+1

Thanks,
Wolf

digging up old subjects here. FYI, the TCS MZA4 will work for also.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »
I realize I'm not the majority of the market, but making a loco DCC sound READY that runs on DC would simplify inventory making it easier to sell to all.

And that would be so easy to do or steam locos, now that all of the electronics are in the all-wheel-pick-up tenders.  Slipping the shell off the tender and putting a decoder in place of a dummy plug or setting some jumpers would be so easy that it would allow even after-market resales to easily take a loco back and forth between DC and DCC buyers.

Of course, it would also be possible to sell "DC tenders" and "DCC tenders" and "DCC tenders with sound" that simply plug into the same wiring harness on the locos.  Heck, Bachmann could end-up selling 3 tenders per loco as their out-of-production locos are traded around over the years, to people with different preferences and layout power, just by having the varous tenders available.