Author Topic: BLI SD40-2  (Read 13868 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
Re: BLI SD40-2
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
It looks like the only units in this run that are correct for the early version are BN, UP, CN 5937, and NS 6107.  Every other paint scheme is a foobie for the early body style.

Aaaand still no Flexicoils... :(

Scott

NS 6107 mostly good except the trucks are wrong.

Mark

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2018, 05:06:06 PM »
+1
Happy with my IMRC units....

Happy with my Kato units....   ;)

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
More than that.  Con-Cor/Roco made one too!  http://www.spookshow.net/loco/ccsd.html

More than that. Kato produced two totally different models. Early and mid production with all new tooling, new mech, new trucks. The only parts identical are the motor, the brake wheel, the horn and the jewel case.

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2018, 10:17:37 PM »
+1
More than that. Kato produced two totally different models. Early and mid production with all new tooling, new mech, new trucks. The only parts identical are the motor, the brake wheel, the horn and the jewel case.

Jane

My early production units have the ratchet brake handle and the mid production ones have the brake wheel. Which reminds me I have to
get working on those projects.  Thanks!

I'll wish BLI well with their SD40-2 since they are offering it with sound.  I'm not into sound after a career of being around diesel engines in various trucks and heavy equipment.  I'm more than happy to listen to music while enjoying my layout.  Not to mention that Scaletrains just used up my hobby budget with their new announcements. 

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
From previous models, how is the Paragon sound? I've got (or on order) locomotives with ESU Loksound installed and am wondering how the Paragon sound relates to it and if it's worth getting these when they'd be different from my other sound units,

Phil
- Phil

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »
+1
My E8s are not as crisp as my ESU equipped IM SD40-2. They sound pretty good though. My AC6000 has a few item set up at the factory that I don't like such as the cab interior light and really loud ringer when starting up. I disabled the cab light entirely and reduced the sound for the ringer to about 20%.

But the engine noise is pretty good and horn is nice.

I still feel that the IM SD40-2 is the best sound equipped engine on the market right now.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Albersala

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2018, 05:27:30 AM »
+1
From previous models, how is the Paragon sound? I've got (or on order) locomotives with ESU Loksound installed and am wondering how the Paragon sound relates to it and if it's worth getting these when they'd be different from my other sound units,

Phil
I think it really is worth having one the new Paragon3 BLi models. I´ve recently adquired the GE ES44AC and, in my opinion, the sound is one of the best on the market today. You´ve got many sound functions and several nice horns to choose. May be the factory setting is too loud but it´s very easy to modify. I also have other ESU equipped locos and they are nice too but it´s true that they sound completely different.
If I were you I would try to get one just to judge for yourself. I guess you won´t be disappointed (at least not for the sound quality).

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2018, 07:06:27 AM »
Thanks guys, that's kind of what my thoughts were,

Phil
- Phil

ek2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
BLI locos have very good sound and function features. They fill in nearly every one of the 28 functions and they had manual notching before the feature became commonplace with ESU's full throttle. The numerous separately applied details are pretty good not to mention features like lighted number boards, ditch lights etc.

Also true that the BLI SD 40-2 sound is pretty awesome. Eagerly waiting on their Cab forward and I'd like to see them bring out more sound equipped models.

The pinnacle of sound though is the KOBO custom E5. You have to hear it to believe it. Sorry for the thread drift !

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »

The pinnacle of sound though is the KOBO custom E5. You have to hear it to believe it. Sorry for the thread drift !

It uses ESU decoder.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2018, 11:33:37 PM »
It uses ESU decoder.  :)

So do models from many other manufacturers but the E5  Kobo custom install is head and shoulders above the rest.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2018, 12:05:32 AM »
So do models from many other manufacturers but the E5  Kobo custom install is head and shoulders above the rest.

What makes it special (better than the rest)?  Special  type of ESU decoder? Special custom sound file?  Special speaker install?
. . . 42 . . .

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2018, 12:09:55 AM »
What makes it special (better than the rest)?  Special  type of ESU decoder? Special custom sound file?  Special speaker install?

I think you know the answer to this better than I do 😉

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2018, 12:12:32 AM »
I think you know the answer to this better than I do 😉

Because it is a KATO?   :? :)
. . . 42 . . .

Albersala

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2018, 04:50:59 AM »

Please, tell us the reason. I can't guess it for myself.