Author Topic: Want recommendations/reviews of model RR hobby tools (manual)  (Read 335 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +315
Want recommendations/reviews of model RR hobby tools (manual)
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:58:12 AM »
Well, tools are products so I guess this is the thread...
This won't be generating any trolling or bitching because it's about things you guys found that are handy and helpful when working on those teeny tiny N equipments. I know I need some foreceps and probably some kind of holding stand but any other suggestions are welcome. I have the "standard" model RR tool set of knife, soldering iron, pliers, screwdrivers, etc and Dremel. Not looking for advice on CDC machines or anything powered, just helpful manual gadgets. Model names, companies, websites, any sources welcome.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1297
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Want recommendations/reviews of model RR hobby tools (manual)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »
One of the handiest tools I use- every single modeling session, Fiskars micro-pruning shears.  I use them for everything, cutting styrene, stainless brass or PB small diameter wire, fiber optics, removing etched parts, and especially handy for shaving the remaining etched tabs off the part nice and close to the edge.  EXCELLENT control when cutting out decals close to the printing.  Just, well everything.  The link is amazon, but you can find them at any home and garden center and Walmart.  My first pair lasted six years- the stainless blades are really tough.

One thing I love about these that regular scissors cannot do is snip at the very tip of the blades- these do.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Softouch-Micro-Tip-Pruning-Snip/dp/B00004SD76