Author Topic: T-Trak Electronics Toolbox  (Read 844 times)

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
T-Trak Electronics Toolbox
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
+2
I'm assuming this is the right place to post this as it pertains to electronics. As a T-Trak person, I noticed that there was a lot of time spent setting up electronics.  Setting up DC and then setting up DCC added to a manual process to switch from one to the other.  So, I set out to create a simpler way of setting up. I created a toolbox that has everything you need to power a T-Trak layout with only two connections:  one for track and one for 120VAC.  The toolbox includes independent selection for either line from DC to DCC, a built in programming track, a PR3, 2 UP5s and a Raspberry Pi running as a wireless access point and JMRI which allows phone users to connect wirelessly and control their DCC trains.  The toolbox also includes a 12DC circuit that goes out with the track connections to power 12DC accessories such as lights and sound generators.  There is an external LAN plug so the toolbox can be plugged into a network externally to perform updates to JMRI as well as the Raspberry Pi without requiring internal physical access.  Access to the JMRI program is accomplished via VNC remote connection. The toolbox has vent holes at one end and a 12DC muffin fan on the other to provide airflow during operation.  The track status lights are fully functional.

I would like to stress that none of this is rocket science.  I merely repackaged common use items in an attempt to be more effecient.

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: T-Trak Electronics Toolbox
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »
Keeping it neat and tidy appeals to me. Great job.

Steve
Steve