Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/21/18  (Read 7141 times)

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
Re: Weekend Update 1/21/18
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 10:02:28 AM »
Started a bridge scratch build this will be a fish belly deck plate, to complete my abandoned LE&P span on my Bradylake module. The wiring and track laying is done so more updates will be a foot finally, as work on the parts of the hobby I enjoy most.

I can't wait to see more.  I was all around Bradylake when I was in school at Kent.  I volunteered in the summer to be on the chase crew for a gentleman who had a couple of hot air balloons.  Even over it a couple of times in the air when space permitted.  If only I'd taken photos.

sp4009

• Respect: +27
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
+5
Lots of progress lately, the last of my track work is finished, wired and operational. 

First chip loads arriving at the dump site.

Code 40 rail.  First empty cars being pulled.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 10:21:11 AM »
sp4009:
That code 40 track looks fantastic.  It always impresses me how much "wider" it makes the track look in code 40.  You might not think the difference between code 55 and 40 would create that much "width" illusion, but it does.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »
sp4009:
That code 40 track looks fantastic.  It always impresses me how much "wider" it makes the track look in code 40.  You might not think the difference between code 55 and 40 would create that much "width" illusion, but it does.

I think it's partially the lack of tie plates and spikes. With the possible exception of the Proto87 Stores' etched tie plates they are all hugely over scale and detract from the overall impression.

Brian M

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
    • Hudson Valley Lines
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
+1
Lots of good stuff this weekend, as usual!

Yesterday was a nice snow day here, so a good excuse to spend time in the basement.  I got some initial ground cover down and painted the water base for the river on my 25 inch "throw away" layout section that was only ever intended to be a spacer between other scenes.

-Brian.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 12:41:19 PM »
+14
Yes, lots of great work this week.  If you have not been following the Industrial Challenge, here is what I have been working on.  More detail in the Challenges section:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43719.0

This is Beer's Auto Electric Service in Johnstown, PA:

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
Doug, nobody seems to have asked about it in the Challenge thread, but why is that corner angled like that? The aerial view didn't seem to hint at a spur or other historic rail access from that direction. Was there possibly a streetcar line rounding that corner sometime in the distant past?

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3129
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »
Doug, nobody seems to have asked about it in the Challenge thread, but why is that corner angled like that? The aerial view didn't seem to hint at a spur or other historic rail access from that direction. Was there possibly a streetcar line rounding that corner sometime in the distant past?

I suspect it was for quick covered parking.  This is downtown Holly MI, with a former corner gas station (tuned into a party store as well) , right next to the Detroit Union Railroad (outstanding O Scale layout if you are ever there during one of their open houses) built into the original Holly Theater.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 01:47:01 PM »
I may have answered my own question. I took another look at the aerial view, and it appears the street itself makes a slight bend. The angled corner appears to correspond to where the street changes direction.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »

There was not a streetcar line turning that corner.  I believe the building angle may be the result of the property line not being a straight line due to the curving of Railroad Street.  The second story may have been built right to the property line. 

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 07:10:52 PM »
These inset buildings seem to be used a lot for auto servicing or gas stations from the early 2oth century. Why they put a gas station on the first floor and offices/apts on the second is a mystery to me. Possibly they weren't sure a gas station would be a profit-maker so the extra floor to help profits? Or this was the first idea on getting a covered area for the gas pumps? Or urban land prices were high so doubling-up was a good idea?

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »
These inset buildings seem to be used a lot for auto servicing or gas stations from the early 2oth century. Why they put a gas station on the first floor and offices/apts on the second is a mystery to me. Possibly they weren't sure a gas station would be a profit-maker so the extra floor to help profits? Or this was the first idea on getting a covered area for the gas pumps? Or urban land prices were high so doubling-up was a good idea?

Or possibly the business owners resided there which was very common too.  Short commute.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »
+1
Max's 0-6-0 is magnificent. I'm thinking back to the early posts on this project when he was messing around with fabricating the drivers: wow, what a project! And then there's Tim's wiring; I'm going to have to get a lesson.
I've finished 24 turnouts (#7 and 9) for the new layout, with another 12 ready for ties. Most of these are Fast Tracks, but some were hand built by a local modeller that I purchased from the LHS. These were beautifully built, way better than my work, but I felt the need to convert them from hinged point to solid point and I think I did a credible job. 36 turnouts is about 2/3 of the total I'll need for the plan I've got in mind. When I get back, it'll be time to start building.

Back from what you might be asking... Well, next Tuesday the Bride and I are boarding the Canadian here in Vancouver and heading for Toronto and then Quebec City for a winter holiday. Absolutely nothing could be more enticing in my mind! Just for the fun of it I'm going to take my incomplete model of a Budd 'manor' sleeping car and do a little work on it while sitting in the real thing. Perfect.
Geoff

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 10:38:59 PM »
Wave as you pass through Kingston!

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »
Via train 60 Feb. 5 through Kingston at 9:07.