Author Topic: Clinton Cereal Co.  (Read 4018 times)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
Re: Clinton Cereal Co.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 06:03:24 AM »
I don’t think much would be lost by losing that building. The more I work on my Melt Shop, the smaller the plan for the Rolling Mill is. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:37:05 AM by Kentuckian »
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »
No doubt you're tackling some seriously large structures, Kentuckian. But what you have is looking great!

For me, the biggest issue is that it gets a little tight on that spur. Eliminating the building allows the tallest elevator to be pushed back on the curve, making it closer to being parallel with the other spur, instead of sitting at an angle. Looks like it will also increase the capacity of that loading zone (for the elevator) by an additional car.

Jim

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 12:38:59 AM »
This return to modeling (or something vaguely similar to it) has reminded me of two irrefutable truths:

1) Patience is a virtue.

2) I have no patience.  :facepalm:

As is my wont in such matters, I leapt before I looked when I started gluing up Elevator 1, with the biggest transgression being that I failed to provide an opening for an unloading door under that canopy. So I snapped apart the model (without incident), trimmed off the bottom inch or so of the front wall, and replaced it with a section that featured an unloading door. (I had trimmed it off when lowering the height of the building.)

The seam where the new section of the front wall went in is virtually invisible, but I haven't achieved the same with the fill-in on the wall to the left. Will have to keep tinkering with the bottom section there.

The canopy (or whatever you call it) was fashioned from pieces of wall I had trimmed away when lowering the height.

It's supposed to warm up to nearly 40 degrees the next several days. That may not be much, but it's a good 50 degrees warmer than it was last week. Should be warm enough in the garage to experiment with a couple colors on an excess section of wall, then hopefully get this pig painted before the weekend, so I can start rustin' it up.

If all goes to plan, I should also be able to lay in a supply of small windows this weekend, so I can finish Elevator 2's headhouse. If I have any downtime before then, I'll start playing with DPM modulars to lay out one of the two smaller buildings in the back row.

(Please pardon the Legos serving as foundations for the elevators. They're a temporary fix until I fashion a suitable foundation out of styrene.)

Jim

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
Continuing to inch forward, I started mocking up the DPM modular building, and tested out the Aluminum Plate Buffing Metalizer on a bit of scrap wall.

It's a bit bright (no, I haven't buffed it ... and don't intend to), but it may work just fine. The elevator is going to be fairly heavily weathered and "rusted," anyway. I may experiment with that a bit tomorrow.

Also cut down the foamboard mockups of the two large buildings to their new projected size.

Two of Atlas' Middlesex Mfg. kits will make up the larger building. The one in the foreground will be built using a couple of brick sheets from Monster Modelworks. (At least that's the plan, anyway.)

I'll need to keep playing with the placement of buildings to satisfy operational needs (and I may want to extend that front spur a couple inches), but the overall shape is starting to come together.

Jim

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »
Tried weathering the test strip. Looks like the paint I have on hand should be adequate.

I know most of you guys probably have no need to waste time on stuff like this. But when it comes to modeling, I have to learn as I go. It took a long time to screw up my courage and begin weathering cars, and I've only done two of 'em so far (although my abilities greatly improved during the process, thanks to the advice of several asshats).

This piece was weathered using Winsor & Newton ivory black water-mixable oil paint (a la @tom mann) followed by a dusting of AIM medium rust weathering powder. I imagine it will tone down a bit if it's hit with some dullcoat, but I don't think I'll bother (on the sample). Will just have to remember to keep a light touch when I'm working on the elevator.

Hoping to get the elevator painted sometime today, with weathering to follow on Saturday.

Jim

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 12:57:15 PM »
+1
I know most of you guys probably have no need to waste time on stuff like this.

Learning is never a waste of time.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 11:39:51 PM »
Hey man, that's how I do it. Learn as you go. Keep moving forward, learn from mistakes, all that stuff we learned in elementary school.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:28 AM »
+2
Learning is never a waste of time.

Absolutely. Just pointing out that I have more to learn than many of the regulars.  :D (I have to remind myself every now and then, or I'd get discouraged.  ;) )

And Josh, as I said in the weathering thread a while back, it was your efforts that helped me overcome inertia and start dirtying up perfectly fine pieces of equipment. (I figgered what the hell, if he could do it ...  :D )

I kid.

Anyway, here's a bright, shiny elevator, as pristine as the day it was built. Which I guess you could say was today.

Can't wait to start dirtying it up!

Jim

TLOC

• Crew
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
Keep posting away Jim, I agree with DKS that learning is never a waste of time. This is not a atta boy forum but it looks good, you are getting some sage advice and you started something you are not familiar with. Love. It

TomO

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »

And Josh, as I said in the weathering thread a while back, it was your efforts that helped me overcome inertia and start dirtying up perfectly fine pieces of equipment. (I figgered what the hell, if he could do it ...  :D )

I kid.

Jim

LOL. It's true! The MannTM Methodd works wonders! I'll have to start a new Adventure thread since I have a place to host images now. I'm pleased you got something out of it.
Keep up the good work!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
Thanks, guys! Elevator 1 is starting to look a little worse for wear after receiving its first treatment of grime.

Will probably hit it with more black tonight. I don't have a good picture of the prototype, but it looks pretty well-worn in the photo I do have.

Jim

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 01:43:42 AM »
+1
Three layers of "grime" in, Elevator 1 is starting to get that lived-in look.

Will hit it with a few more layers tomorrow, then likely let it sit for a day or two before dullcoating it and starting with the rust.

In the meantime, I can get back to Elevator 2's headhouse. I picked up some smaller windows at Scale Model Supplies today, and got a couple installed. Will probably add four more smaller windows to the front, then 2-4 windows on each side of the "penthouse." Also picked up some Testor's Flat White, so I can paint and start weathering 'er after I'm done fenestratin'.

Jim