Author Topic: N scale Unitrack  (Read 4915 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
N scale Unitrack
« on: January 18, 2018, 02:11:42 AM »
I know some here have used the Kato Unitrack, and made it look very nice. I was wondering about how reliable it is, in terms of not causing stalls at turnouts?
 Last layout had Peco EF turnouts, and could be iffy sometimes. Read the solution was wiring in a slide switch, to frog and point rails. IIRC. The only thing I didn't like when I first saw Unitrack in person, was the big rivets at frog end of point rails.
 Just wondering how to keep the fun up, and frustration levels down.
 Thanks,
 Joe D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:05:44 AM by GaryHinshaw »

Joetrain59

• Crew
Re: N scale Unitrack
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:01:57 AM »
Thanks Gary. Since I thought about a future layout, I posted in that thread.
 Joe D

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:04:34 AM »
No worries.  Just trying to keep the Engineering board dedicated to specific layout build threads.

Now I have to slap a scale icon on your first post. ;)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 04:56:48 AM »
+1
Joe,
The stuff is bullet-proof. The #4 switch points often need some filing, but other than that, everything will run on it, it does not seem to need as much cleaning, and it stays together better than any other sectional track that I have used.
Downside is that it is code 80 and the tie size and spacing is a bit unrealistic. Like all sectional track it has its limitations with designing a layout, but it is so quick and easy to use that design obstacles can be corrected on the layout.
If you want to get up and running with reliability, you can't go wrong. The track also retains its value and you can recover most of your investment if you decide to sell it.

I put multiple power leads to a Unitrack 9' long layout that was essentially a double oval with spurs and a small yard. I messed up and it turns out that only two of the leads actually fed power to the track. I didn't discover this for nearly a year of operation. Everything ran perfectly.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »
+4
Joe,

Unitrack is an easy an excellent way to get a layout up and running quickly.  And it is not that difficult to "disguise" it so that the plastic roadbed is not so apparent. The entire JACALAR is a Unitrack layout.  Here are a couple shots from it:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
(yes, that is a TARDIS)

Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 03:39:11 PM »

Last layout had Peco EF turnouts, and could be iffy sometimes. Read the solution was wiring in a slide switch, to frog and point rails. IIRC. The only thing I didn't like when I first saw Unitrack in person, was the big rivets at frog end of point rails.

Yes, you should never depend on the ponts as a reliable electrical contact.  That applies to all brands of turnouts. But if the frog/points are powered by contacts from a switch machine. turnouts are very reliable.
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:44:53 PM »
Thanks so far. Peco tie spacing isn't so great either. And tie arrangment at turnouts is not realistic. Looks like the largest Unitrack radius is 13-3/4". Is that right? I was hoping for at least 15". Oh, are the points and frogs on Unitrack turnouts wired through their switch machine?
 Joe D

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 04:47:00 PM »
Looks like the largest Unitrack radius is 13-3/4". Is that right?

No.

The largest is 28 1/4" and then it jumps down to 19".  They do have 15" as well.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:48:32 PM by wcfn100 »

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 05:18:08 PM »
+1
Fifer Hobbies has a "how to" showing how to assemble Unitrak to create all manner of radii.

http://www.fiferhobby.com/wp-content/uploads/chart-pic1.jpg

Very helpful to get whatever radius you might want.

eja

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
Thanks so far. Peco tie spacing isn't so great either. And tie arrangment at turnouts is not realistic. Looks like the largest Unitrack radius is 13-3/4". Is that right? I was hoping for at least 15". Oh, are the points and frogs on Unitrack turnouts wired through their switch machine?
 Joe D

Yes, the points and frogs are powered internally. And fully DCC compatible, no modifications required. See this diagram for all their single track pieces http://www.katousa.com/PDF/N-Unitrack.pdf
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 05:39:31 PM »
I hate the way the N gauge Unitrack looks (at least in HO they used code 83).

That said I have some for test purposes and I must say the stuff is top notch and "bulletproof".

I highly recommend it! I will probably use it in the staging areas of my layout.

Mark

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »
I hate the way the N gauge Unitrack looks (at least in HO they used code 83).

That said I have some for test purposes and I must say the stuff is top notch and "bulletproof".

I highly recommend it! I will probably use it in the staging areas of my layout.

Mark
That's my plan when I get to a point of building a layout. I have a bunch of the stuff. I'll probably use it in a helix if I need one also.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 10:48:14 PM »
Thanks very much. Plenty of info to digest. That should do it for now.
 Joe D

GP40X

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 12:25:42 PM »
Joe,

Check out some of the T-Trak information.  Kato Unitrack is the standard track and there is a lot of information on using it including tuning the Kato #4 turnouts.  Both the #4 & #6 turnouts are live grog and the number 4 has small switches built into the switch to set the frog to live or dead power.  Also check out Mike Fifer's YouTube page.  Lots of tips and tricks on using Unitrack in home layouts and making it look more realistic.  HTH
Bill Belsher
I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.
North TX T-Trak

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 07:41:23 PM »
Thanks GP40X. I was thinking maybe I should go to Springfield next weekend, and looks for some deals, and inspiration for Unitrack.
 Nowhere near a build stage though.
 Joe D