Author Topic: Merchants' Warehouse Shackamaxon Stores Warehouse No-4 in N  (Read 1935 times)

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
Merchants' Warehouse Shackamaxon Stores Warehouse No-4 in N
« on: January 15, 2018, 06:54:31 PM »
I'll get around to starting this if my brick sheet from Monster finally shows up, but for now, I figure if I post about it, I can't back out.

Built in 1882, Shackamaxon Stores No. 4 stood across from the Pennsylvania Sugar Refinery in Philly's Fishtown neighborhood until it was torn down in the mid-1990s. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Like most of the structures on my project, it didn't seem to ever get photographed directly, so all my research materials had come from photos where glimpses of it are seen in the background...
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Sean

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
Re: Merchants' Warehouse Shackamaxon Stores Warehouse No-4 in N
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »
What's interesting about this structure is, given the time period it was constructed, the brickwork is very straightforward. There's not much in the way of ornate cornices and such...

Fortunately, I've been able to harvest some decent-enough detail shots of the place over the years...

The end...

Now, if anyone who's good with fonts would happen to know what the hell the one used to letter the long sides of the building is... :?
Sean

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
LHF Egyptian from http://www.letterheadfonts.com/ is a good match for the end

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »
The long side is harder.  It's obviously hand painted and adjusted to fit in between the columns, but this is close edit: not close, but gives the same "feel":

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:20:08 PM by tom mann »

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »
That one is pretty close, but the interesting thing is how the letters' thickness is offset... it's especially noticeable in the PC 8278 pic.
Sean

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:01:39 AM »
Cool building! Planning on using decals or dry transfers for the lettering?

Jim

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
That one is pretty close, but the interesting thing is how the letters' thickness is offset... it's especially noticeable in the PC 8278 pic.

Yes, some manipulation of the font in Photoshop will give a much closer appearance.

When you have this side built, scan it in and we can overlay some fonts directly on it.

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »
Yes, some manipulation of the font in Photoshop will give a much closer appearance.

When you have this side built, scan it in and we can overlay some fonts directly on it.

Gonna be a while before I have anything actually built, seems the guy from Monster was waiting for a tree to be harvested before my brick sheets could be cut...then, I finally got the "shipping" notification Tuesday, but the tracking number says it still hasn't been picked up yet...  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

I did do a sketch with everything measured out, the distance between the columns is 23/32" and the height between windows is 10/32". So those are the max dimensions of each pair of letters, except for the T in merchants and the A in warehouse. By luck, this photo popped up in a Facebook group earlier this week, so might as well share to keep peoples' appetites whet...

Sean

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 02:14:14 PM »
Cool building! Planning on using decals or dry transfers for the lettering?

Jim

Probably decals, since these will likely have to be a custom job and I don't know if anyone does custom dry-transfers. Plus, dry-transfers have never worked quite right for me.
Sean