Author Topic: Challenge #3 - “The only difference between hell and Thurmond . . .  (Read 5531 times)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
Re: Challenge #3 - “The only difference between hell and Thurmond . . .
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 10:31:55 AM »
+2
Putting final details on the buildings before attaching them to the module.  Steps and sidewalk.

Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »
+3
Overall current state of module. I finally “planted” the buildings, so I could compute ballast and start the background scenery. Everything depended on where the buildings were located. I didn’t know what to do with the foreground, so I went with the prototype and installed a dummy track. Probably have a few empty coal hoppers sitting on it.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1069
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 11:30:47 PM »
Just tell people its a stunted N Trak module.  :trollface:
-Al

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 01:12:05 AM »
Build another one, so they add up to an Ntrak module length, and they could be used as one.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »
Mountains in hours. Don’t worry, I’m not done yet.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »
Almost ready for paint.

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 09:37:09 PM »
+5
Scribing panel lines with a surface gauge.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The two towers:

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
Post Office building is done, and the module is completed, only about three months late. I may add a figure or two later, but I am calling this a completed project and moving on to the next thing. Maybe completing Challenge #2! Or maybe the lift bridge module? I don’t plan on posting anymore to this thread; if I make any changes it will probably be documented in a weekend update.

Thanks to Lee @wm3798 for starting this Challenge, and for his encouragement. Thanks to everyone who posted.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
That turned out very nice.  I love the night shot.  The only drawback to the printed structures is the absence of interior lighting, but overall, nicely done!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 01:46:02 AM »
Do the buildings in the real Thurmond have lights at night?  As an almost-ghost town, the place may be quite dark, except for the station.  I've never been there at night, but even 30 years ago it wasn't a lively place in the daytime.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Kentuckian

• Crew
+3
So I changed my mind about where to post updates.

About a month ago at the C&O Historical Society’s Modelers Weekend (Hawks Nest at Chief Logan) a fellow member was offering to engrave station names in the style reminiscent of station signs that the C&O used. I got mine in the mail last week and just got it installed. Thanks Bill S.!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
I love this module ..