Author Topic: Little River Lumber Company - a Logging Mini-Layout  (Read 12515 times)

southernman

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
Re: Little River Lumber Company - a Logging Mini-Layout
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
That is some amazing work you’re doing there. You have nailed the look of th area. I know that I’m late to the game, this is actually my first post here, but I’d recommend getting a copy of a book called Last TrainTo Elkmont for further research. Lots of photos and history of the exact area that you’re modeling. Keep up the good work!!

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2018, 07:44:45 PM »
That is some amazing work you’re doing there. You have nailed the look of th area. I know that I’m late to the game, this is actually my first post here, but I’d recommend getting a copy of a book called Last TrainTo Elkmont for further research. Lots of photos and history of the exact area that you’re modeling. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks for the kind words! I actually have that book, Whistle Over the Mountain, and Lost Elkmont. I've hiked through Elkmont and saw the cottages there that used to belong to the Knoxville hunting club. I believe they've been removed since then. I love hiking in the Smokies, and learning about this part of its history has been a lot of fun.

Chris
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

highway70

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 12:41:57 AM »
Beautiful layout.

First saw this plan in a Carstens (Railroad Model Craftsman) book published originally in the 1950's. The article said it would be operated by two locomotives.  One  on the lower tracks would push/pull the train up/down the hill. The other took the train off the hill and worked the upper tracks.  HO Scale.

From a later Model Railroader article

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:08:37 AM by highway70 »

cbroughton67

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
+3
I've added a hand-held pulse-width modulated analog throttle to the LRLC layout. The throttle is a Varipulse throttle sold by a gentleman in Canada. It's a nice little throttle, and I love the smooth, slow-speed control. I added a 4-pin DIN connector, so I can disconnect the throttle from the layout for storage, or possibly moving between this and some future layout.

Additionally, I had to file the guard rails a bit on the Atlas Code 55 turnouts. Even with the locomotive wheels meticulously gauged, they were too tight to allow the flanges to pass without binding. Between that, a couple of other minor tweaks to the track, and the new throttle, operation is much improved. Now, maybe I'll finally get motivated to convert the Randgust 18-ton Climax to a gear motor drive.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2018, 10:41:01 AM »
I am envious.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
@cbroughton67 could I trouble you sir for a rundown of scenery materials used?

Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

cbroughton67

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2018, 07:19:58 PM »
+2
@cbroughton67 could I trouble you sir for a rundown of scenery materials used?

Why certainly, Colonel Surkosky!

For the trees:
Scenic Express SuperTree Material
Scenic Express Flock & Turf:
 - Autumn Glory Blend EX871
 - Early Autumn Blend EX870
 - Burnt Orange Course EX877

Ground Cover:
 - fine, sifted dirt from a construction site
 - Scenic Express Flock & Turf Soil Brown Fine EX845
 - Silflor Grass Flock 4mm Autumn 004-24
 - Scenic Express SuperLeaf Leaf Litter SE6623
 - Silflor Buffalo Grass Autumn Tone 737-94
 - Silflor Buffalo Grass Late Summer 737-93
 - sticks from the backyard for stumps & logs
 - sawdust saved from cutting stumps & logs for around the logging camp and sawmill

Backdrop is by http://www.tracksidescenery.com/index.php

I think that covers it...

Chris

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »

Why certainly, Colonel Surkosky!

For the trees:
Scenic Express SuperTree Material
Scenic Express Flock & Turf:
 - Autumn Glory Blend EX871
 - Early Autumn Blend EX870
 - Burnt Orange Course EX877

Ground Cover:
 - fine, sifted dirt from a construction site
 - Scenic Express Flock & Turf Soil Brown Fine EX845
 - Silflor Grass Flock 4mm Autumn 004-24
 - Scenic Express SuperLeaf Leaf Litter SE6623
 - Silflor Buffalo Grass Autumn Tone 737-94
 - Silflor Buffalo Grass Late Summer 737-93
 - sticks from the backyard for stumps & logs
 - sawdust saved from cutting stumps & logs for around the logging camp and sawmill

Backdrop is by http://www.tracksidescenery.com/index.php

I think that covers it...

Chris

And thank YOU, Colonel Broughton!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2018, 01:35:43 AM »
I also remember the Gum Stump and Snowshoe.  The first version of my narrow-to-standard gauge coal transfer used it as the switchback to gain elevation.  The idea of the bridge looked so silly I removed it on my current layout, built a conventional switchback up the side of the hill, and saved the cost of the bridge.

I only need one locomotive because the interchange yard at the bottom allows for runarounds.  The 8% grades aren't a problem for a switcher and two 50-ton coal cars, especially since the uphill trains are empty.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »
+3
Looking at another picture... I think you need just a touch more green in the mix.

I think some green in the forest floor would be good. Just a smattering goes a LONG way.

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 12:18:56 PM »
+1
This is an awesome mini layout, love the track plan and it’s a natural for this sort of depiction. Execution is great, very well done all around. To echo Ed’s chef style pinch of green for the forest I would say the only thing I would try to do is breakup the “hard line” effect going on between your static grass areas and forest floor areas. Perhaps this can play into his comment of a bit more green, sort of varying materials and pulling a bit of static material into the forest floor (maybe more of the burnt grass color since you have the autumn thing going on. Makes me want to build another mini/micro.  :drool: :D
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

cbroughton67

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
This is an awesome mini layout, love the track plan and it’s a natural for this sort of depiction. Execution is great, very well done all around. To echo Ed’s chef style pinch of green for the forest I would say the only thing I would try to do is breakup the “hard line” effect going on between your static grass areas and forest floor areas. Perhaps this can play into his comment of a bit more green, sort of varying materials and pulling a bit of static material into the forest floor (maybe more of the burnt grass color since you have the autumn thing going on. Makes me want to build another mini/micro.  :drool: :D

Good advice from both of you - thanks! @Ed Kapuscinski are you thinking like a few evergreen saplings green, or just a few green underbrush hangers-on from the change of seasons? @nuno81291 - I'll definitely do that. I have some buffalo grass tufts that will make that easy without disturbing the trees.

I'd love to find some ballast that looks like creek rock to apply sparsely here and there around the track. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, guys.
Chris
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »
Amazing work.

All that's missing is Snydely Whiplash tying up the lovely Nell in hopes of obtaining the deed to the mill!
One question, I like the saw blade, but would it make sense to have one laser cut from card stock or thin styrene to better approximate 1/4" steel?  I think the mill manager would prefer shipping lumber rather than large bales of sawdust... ;)

I also wonder how much fun it would be to put in a linkage to make it spin...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2022, 01:56:31 PM »
I don't know how I missed this one, but in searching for sawmill interior parts it showed up.

This is just a wonderful piece of work.   I have to come up with a little mill like this for the McCabe N / Nn3 module, and this is more or less what I'm looking for, with more added to the lumber handling end (edger, rolls, etc.) but still a small, single-deck, steam powered circular mill.

And I gotta say, that's one of the best shots ever taken of my Climax on that trestle.   Love it.

One thing nobody asked, so I will, is the static grass material, adhesive, and applicator.   I've failed more times than I've succeeded with that stuff.

The 'feel' of that module is just wonderful.   

I've gotten lost in the sauce of Nn3 on the logging track and dual-gauge on the lumber loading track, but my Nn3 Climax A version has proven to be reliable enough to invest in the entire project.    McCabe only had this little mill for about four years before it was destroyed by a flood, the Climax A went on to another owner.   There are almost no records or photos at all of the company, I'm literally guessing everything based on some  newspaper descriptions, production records, and other similar mills in the area.   

But in the end, what's been done here is pretty similar, if I can come close to this bar!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 01:58:40 PM by randgust »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2022, 02:46:58 PM »

One thing nobody asked, so I will, is the static grass material, adhesive, and applicator.   I've failed more times than I've succeeded with that stuff.

The grass is upthread.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43696.msg573203#msg573203
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B