Author Topic: Kato power pack..  (Read 1097 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
Kato power pack..
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:59:28 PM »
I use above mentioned power source for workbench testing of locos. Does anyone know if the low voltage output connector is fairly standard, and available at the big box home centers? I'd like to make up several sets with different clips/probes etc. Can take a pic if needed.
 Thanks,
 Joe D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:11:00 AM by Joetrain59 »

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
Re: Kato power pack..
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:47:05 AM »
The connector on the Power Pack is a “mini tamiya plug”. Available from lots of sources, just enter into your favorite search engine
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:43 AM »
Thanks Rick. I'll try that search.
 Joe D

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +301
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »
Mini Tamyia is correct and often used in the radio control industry.  You won't find them in the big box store.  You can get them at a RC LHS but it will be expensive if you need a lot.  One of two, ok.  If more, get them on eBay and make sure it's a US supplier.  A lot of RC components, if not all, come from China.

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 05:33:28 PM »
Mini Tamiya is correct, but unfortunately not all Mini Tamiya components get along together.  I've bought the green ones on Amazon.  They all seem to be the same, regardless where you buy them.  If you do buy the green ones, you'll quickly discover that the receptacle component (typically female terminals inside the "male" type housing) will not readily plug into your Kato pack.  The Kato connectors have rounded edges on the housings, and the green one are squared off.  This doesn't impact plugging a Kato receptacle connector (i.e. the one on the power cord from the feeder track), into a green Tamiya plug component.  I've wired an entire Unitrack layout by using Tamiya plugs for the Kato feeder track receptacles, but when I get to the Kato packs; it required a bit more thought and effort.

My first question for the OP is are you familiar with Molex connectors and Molex crimp terminals?  If so, you may already have a Molex branded crimper ($50 for a glorified set of pliers, but worth every penny if you are using these crimp terminals).  I use exclusively Molex connectors everywhere between my Kato power feed tracks and the Kato packs (my layout is modular shelf, and all modules use Molex connectors to plug into a 12 circuit, around the room power buss).  When I get to the Kato packs, I craft a Molex to Mini Tamiya adapter cord.  I don't like the Kato 24 gauge wire, so I use a surplus Kato receptacle (cut off a track power feeder) and rewire it using 16 gauge wire and the Mini Tamiya female crimp terminals that come with the Chinese green plastic Amazon "kits."  The Molex crimper crimps them just fine and they readily snap into the Kato receptacle housing just like any other housing.  Hopefully that all makes sense.

In the OPs situation, I would craft one of these adapter cords and then use Molex connectors to craft the various plug in test cables, probes, etc. that he may wish to use.  Good luck!

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:23:16 PM »
A search did show them at Hobbytown, in various forms. Just want 2 or 3 more. Might try All electronics later. Thanks for the info so far.
 Joe D

NorsemanJack

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:11:24 PM »
A search did show them at Hobbytown, in various forms. Just want 2 or 3 more. Might try All electronics later. Thanks for the info so far.
 Joe D

Can you post a link?

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »
Can't seem to find link to Hobbytown mention in search history. Only one item from the Hobbytown result was clicked on. They all seemed to involve battery chargers, and a lot were out of stock.
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 11:42:58 PM »
Just viewed this page at All, https://www.allelectronics.com/category/187/connectors-rc/servo/1.html
 2nd from top, on left looks close, until it says mates with CON-210S, shown next to it. I should just go to hobbytown right near me, and see what they have.
 Joe D

NorsemanJack

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:43:49 AM »
These are probably as close as you're going to find:

https://www.amazon.com/HRB-Battery-Connectors-Silicone-Airsoft/dp/B06XRXLD3W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515656343&sr=8-4&keywords=mini+tamiya+connector

That said, please review my previous post.  Those receptacles will NOT readily mate with your Kato pack, despite the fact that they are Mini Tamiya connectors.  If anybody else has found, purchased and actually successfully used these or others, PLEASE post a link to the source.  I am highly confident that the only connector you will find that will mate with your Kato pack, is another Kato product.  That said, I described how you can upgrade to heavier gauge wire and other connection options.  If there were an easier solution, I am pretty sure I would have found it.  I would hate to have you waste your time and money trying other things if I can share some lessons learned that will help you (and others.)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +301
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »
Just viewed this page at All, https://www.allelectronics.com/category/187/connectors-rc/servo/1.html
 2nd from top, on left looks close, until it says mates with CON-210S, shown next to it. I should just go to hobbytown right near me, and see what they have.
 Joe D

It's hard to tell if they are the normal Tamyia connector (far, far more popular with R/C cars) then the Mini Tamyia ones since they do not specify the dimensions.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

NorsemanJack

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 02:25:28 PM »
I have bought these and used with lots of success (pre wired)
https://www.batterymart.com/p-80016-mini-male-tamiya-connector-16-awg.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXHwkI8KhgsAWs2G_gz05i-OM5PM1qtZ83S3oVR3bC8WMOe25E5qrTEaAv3gEALw_wcB

Interesting.  Those look identical to the ones I have bought from several sources.  The connector shown in the link has the female housing with male terminals.  Kato track feeder cords will readily plug into those connectors, with only some minor filing to allow the clip to engage.

That is not the troublemaker.  It is the mating connector (male housing, female terminals - called a "receptacle" in Molex lingo) that causes problems.  They won't plug into a Kato pack without SIGNIFICANT filing of the square "post" on the male housing.  Can you confirm that you've bought some that readily plug into a Kato power pack??  This is what the OP is looking for.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:27:39 PM by NorsemanJack »

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:30 PM »
I have never purchased those. With over 50 switches on the JACALAR wired up to DS64s, I have plenty of them that I have clipped off Kato wiring.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

NorsemanJack

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 03:40:47 PM »
I have never purchased those. With over 50 switches on the JACALAR wired up to DS64s, I have plenty of them that I have clipped off Kato wiring.

Thanks Rick.  This is exactly what I expected.  I don't believe there are any third-party Mini Tamiya connector housings that will readily mate with the output plug from the Kato power pack.  Hang onto those clipped Kato connectors!  As I mentioned before, the housings can be salvaged and rewired with heavier gauge wire with crimped on Mini Tamiya terminals.  That works great, and is the only way I've found (or heard of) to robustly connect to the Kato packs (and Soundboxes in my situation).  OP take note.