Author Topic: LokSound Lighting: Toggle Between Effect & Steady On?  (Read 1022 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
LokSound Lighting: Toggle Between Effect & Steady On?
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:04:40 PM »
I would like to see if there's a way to set up a light effect in one of my LokSound Select Direct Micros (currently hooked to the F3 output and set to Mars light with the grade crossing function flagged), so that it can be toggled between the Mars effect and steady on. Basically, I want the grade crossing function without having to blow the horn and without the 16 second time-out. This is to mimic the Rio Grande's practice of being able to stop the gyrating motion of the light once away from population, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks!

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
Re: LokSound Lighting: Toggle Between Effect & Steady On?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 04:32:04 PM »
Is what you want a simple toggle to switch between a steady light and the gyralight? Couple of ways to do that, depending on exactly how you are wired. Do you have ditch lights wired up on Aux1/2, that utilize Grade Crossing? Is there anything on Aux4?

Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »
Is what you want a simple toggle to switch between a steady light and the gyralight?

Yes, exactly!  ;)

Couple of ways to do that, depending on exactly how you are wired. Do you have ditch lights wired up on Aux1/2, that utilize Grade Crossing? Is there anything on Aux4?

No ditchlights, only the regular headlight (currently set up on AUX4) which comes on with the F0 key and the gyralight (currently set up on AUX3) which comes on with the F6 key.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
Ok, so set Aux3 to respond to Grade Crossing Logic

On the Function Mapping tab, deselect Grade Crossing in the Logical Outputs column for F2 (you don’t want it on with the horn)
Assign an unused function key (or remap one, such as F3 if you don’t usually use the coupler sound) to turn on Grade Crossing. Since the other keys are not momentary, as F2 is, this becomes an on/off toggle for the logic function.

Set the Grade Crossing hold time to zero.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
OK, I'll goive it a shot!

Sorry, I suddenly had it backwards in my initial reply that I've since changed.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:43:07 PM by tehachapifan »

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:11:12 PM »
Ok, that worked! :D Although, I did have to enter .07 seconds in the grade crossing hold time as it wouldn't work at 0 seconds. Hoping that won't cause an issue.

So, to confirm the way it is currently functioning, F6 turns the Gyralight on steady and F3 starts the gyrating effect. They work independently or with the gyration effect working with both F6 and F3 enable simultaneously. I'm assuming having them both activated simultaneously is OK, as in the output is not receiving double voltage? It appears to doing be fine.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 06:23:13 PM »
F3 should only be turning on the logical Grade Crossing, no physical output. Although it doesn’t hurt anything. You have to turn on F6 to get the lamp on, and F3 controls the effect.

I have done exactly this for combined red and white Mars lights (two LEDs to same light pipe). Each LED is on a separate Aux output, and a separate toggle switch for oscillating or steady.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
OK, I do have AUX3 selected in the physical outputs column for both F3 and F6, with "grade crossing" only selected in the "Logical functions" in the F3 line. Does this sound right?

Thanks! :D

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
As I said, doesn’t hurt anything. Just now, if you just turn on the effect, you have to hit two buttons to make it steady.

Another option, just to complicate matters in your mind, is to turn Aux3 and Aux4 on with F0. Both lights on and off on single button, and F3 just starts the Mars effect
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
I actually prefer having separate function key(s) for this light.

Anyway, thanks for the help! This worked out perfectly and the results are cool! 8)