Author Topic: Rainbow Flop Aerial Sunset Train  (Read 958 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Rainbow Flop Aerial Sunset Train
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
+2
Sunday was the first day around these parts with temperatures in the double digits, giving me my first opportunity to take out the new quad/drone.  What better subject than to go on a train chase!
The day was cloudy and dim, but I found a few different trains and was able to try a couple different aerial maneuvers, nothing too interesting yet.

Finally, about 20 minutes before sunset, the clouds broke and let loose some beautiful golden light, just as I reached a field south of the Roca Elevator (the feature of one of my Free-moN modules).  In the distance, I heard that distinct rumble.

NS has become quite a common visitor, but this is only the second CP unit I've spotted.  Getting one of each with their host in the lead is a nice treat, and captured at sunset with the new quad is the cherry on top!

2018 is going to be great!  Happy New Year!
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
Re: Rainbow Flop Aerial Sunset Train
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »
Meant to ask you, where are you in this video (controlling the drone)?
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
I'm one of the pixels at the edge of the screen in the first few seconds.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
Very nice video.  I have been eyeing the Spark and your output looks great.  Were you looking at the live video on your smart phone or did you have some kind of video screen or FPV goggles as you were flying it?

The sound sounds great from that distance or did you dub in the audio by recording it on the ground?

I have all kinds of RC airplanes and helicopters (big and small) but haven't really made it to the drone area.

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 12:25:49 PM »
Very nice video.  I have been eyeing the Spark and your output looks great.  Were you looking at the live video on your smart phone or did you have some kind of video screen or FPV goggles as you were flying it?

The sound sounds great from that distance or did you dub in the audio by recording it on the ground?

I have all kinds of RC airplanes and helicopters (big and small) but haven't really made it to the drone area.

Thanks.  Of course the Spark is limited to shooting only 1080p @30fps (unlike it's bigger brothers that do 4K+ & slowmo), but I did not color correct anything.  I'm especially impressed with the gradient around the setting sun, very smooth falloff with no clipping or stepping.
It is compatible with FPV goggles, but priced as much as the Spark itself, no thanks.  The controller has flip out 'clamps' for a phone to be used as the video screen. 
No mic the quad, all you'd hear are bees.  I recorded sound on my DSLR and combined later.

I always had an interest in aerial photography but until now I've only experimented with the cheap under $50 things, probably best just to be called toys.  The very poor results with those (and the number of hobbies I have already) kept me off the bandwagon.  My limited experience with the Spark so far has me regretting holding out!  It's incredibly fun, very intuitive and easy to fly, captures great aerials, and has all the power/range of a 'big boy' quad. 

I wouldn't put it on the same field as RC planes and helicopters.  It's purpose and programming is strictly for aerial photography.  But if that is the interest and you're looking for something to test the waters, I absolutely recommend it!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8563
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »
+1
Worst.  Thread.  Title.  Ever.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

:D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:38:09 PM by Dave V »

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »
In poker, the term "rainbow" refers to when the flop contains three cards engines of completely different suits roads.

:trollface:

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »
Thanks Mark.  I was looking at the Spark or Mavic during the holidays due to DJI's promos.  But I never managed to pul the trigger.

Don't forget to register with the FAA.  $25k initial fines.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2113
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »
Very nice and stable , love it .

Richie Dost