Author Topic: My wishlist for N Scale Santa Fe engines this year  (Read 3539 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: My wishlist for N Scale Santa Fe engines this year
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »
Marty, a good point, strange things sometimes do happen, so there's always hope.
(But what makes you think the RR-30's never left ATSF rails? I was under the impression they may have been assigned to specialized service, but went across the country, along with the 200 virtually identical RR-22's and 50 very similar RR-31's. Is this wrong?)

Still, for any steam or transition era ATSF layout, the 3800 class 2-10-2's is a must. It's the quintesential "Santa Fe" steam locomotive, though maybe not the most glamorous. BLI made them in HO, in multiple runs. I was told by BLI reps that in N scale, the only steam produced will have to have extra large tenders, because of the size of DCC sound components. So far, that's been their pattern, including the just announced Pennsy monster. I hope that with continued miniaturization, perhaps that too will change. Or maybe they could do the 3800 with a prototypical 20K tank, as many were so equipped.

Otto K.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 11:15:09 PM »
Hey, if we're calling long shots, how about a B39-8?   :D

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 02:30:39 AM »
Marty, a good point, strange things sometimes do happen, so there's always hope.
(But what makes you think the RR-30's never left ATSF rails? I was under the impression they may have been assigned to specialized service, but went across the country, along with the 200 virtually identical RR-22's and 50 very similar RR-31's. Is this wrong?)

Otto K.

They went everywhere in the country but the only name they carried on their sides was Santa Fe. They were never sold to anyone nor were any made for other companies. All of them remained Santa Fe property until scrapped.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
That's what I thought. They roamed all over the country, as did the vast majority of SFRD reefers. I guess I misinterpreted "only used on the ATSF" to mean they were only used on the ATSF :D
But yea, no one else had these.
Otto K.

GP40X

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »
Well I got one of my wishes recently when Atlas announced GP39-2's in both post 72 Warbonnet and Kodachrome Q2/18.  Now we still need CF7's and I also want a GP40X.  3751 wound be great for the steam/excursion crowd.  We got the 39-2.  Maybe we will get lucky and the manufacturers will fill some more holes this year.

P.S. Could also use another run of Santa Fe F3's or F7's. 
Bill Belsher
I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.
North TX T-Trak

atsf3751

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2018, 04:43:05 PM »
The engine that had been on the top of my want list for years was the FT. I was overjoyed when two companies announced they would make them, so I preordered as soon as I could. I lost count of how many I ordered so when they started showing up, I had quite a fleet. Altogether I ended up with nine ABBA sets. :)
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

GP40X

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »
The engine that had been on the top of my want list for years was the FT. I was overjoyed when two companies announced they would make them, so I preordered as soon as I could. I lost count of how many I ordered so when they started showing up, I had quite a fleet. Altogether I ended up with nine ABBA sets. :)
LOL, I finally picked up a 106-6002 Super Chief set B to go with my set A I got a few years ago and now that I suddenly need a set of F3's and/or F7's they seem to have dried up.  I tried pulling it with a SD40-2F (SDP40-F SB rebuild) but my prototype OCD kicked in because it drove me nuts.  Luckily for me it drove a friend nuts too and he loaned me an ABB set of F7's to run my Super Chief during that show but I want my own before the next one so we really need another run of F3's or F7's.  I normally model 1985 and originally bought the set a just for the Regal Crest and the diner to build a business train but got bit by the passenger bug so I will eventually have the Super Chief, he El Cap and also need to assemble a Texas Chief to run with some PA's I have my eye on.
Bill Belsher
I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.
North TX T-Trak

atsf3751

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2018, 06:33:00 PM »
The BLI PA's are nice engines if you can find them, but I see that BLI lists N Scale F3's and F7's on their web page but no hobby shops that I frequent show them. Anyone know the ETA for these locos? Wonder how they will compare to the engines I have with Loksounds and sugar cube speakers? But since I have a sizeable fleet of F3's and F7's already, I will probably skip these unless they are very, very good.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA