Author Topic: silver bearing solder  (Read 3747 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: silver bearing solder
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
So in laymens terms the stuff melts and hardens almost instantly (when you hit that temp?  I hate when my parts move or shift while I am soldering because the solder takes to long to flash hard.

This now makes sense when you and Max talk about a "lightning quick touch with the iron and youre done".

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »
+1
So in laymens terms the stuff melts and hardens almost instantly (when you hit that temp?  I hate when my parts move or shift while I am soldering because the solder takes to long to flash hard.

Exactly! No pasty state.

Quoting Wikipedia:
eutectic — that is, their melting point is the same as their freezing point. Non-eutectic alloys have markedly different solidus and liquidus temperatures, and within that range they exist as a paste of solid particles in a melt of the lower-melting phase. In electrical work, if the joint is disturbed in the pasty state before it has solidified totally, a poor electrical connection may result; use of eutectic solder reduces this problem.
. . . 42 . . .

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 02:08:34 AM »
NTE has revived the Kester solder Pocket Paks.
http://www.nteinc.com/kester/pocket-paks.php?a=39
This series of products includes both Sn63/Pb37 and Sn62/Pb36/Ag02 alloys.

For the OP, the 2% silver version is available from several electronic part distributors, such as Parts Express and Jameco, some resellers on eBay, as well as local Micro-Center computer stores.

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 05:48:08 AM »
I used Multicore M7 Ersin 5 Core Solder for years and it always worked very well. I ran out and purchased a roll of kester 44 rosin core 63/37 solder, SN63PB37. it just doesn't work as well as the Ersin core did, not even close. 

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 04:06:54 PM »
I used Multicore M7 Ersin 5 Core Solder for years and it always worked very well. I ran out and purchased a roll of kester 44 rosin core 63/37 solder, SN63PB37. it just doesn't work as well as the Ersin core did, not even close.
No problems noted with the Kester product in the reviews posted here:
https://www.parts-express.com/kester-44-rosin-core-solder-63-37-031-1-lb-spool--370-074

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
I've used various Kester-brand solders for over 30 years (both professionally as an electronic repair tech, and in my hobbies). No problems noted. Kester is a well-established soldering materials manufacturers. But there are others out there and we all are free to "pick our poisons".  I do not have any experience  with Ersin solders.
. . . 42 . . .

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 10:18:36 AM »
No problems noted with the Kester product in the reviews posted here:
https://www.parts-express.com/kester-44-rosin-core-solder-63-37-031-1-lb-spool--370-074
I didn't say there was a major problem, the Ersin core solder just works better for me. Flows better and my soldering iron tip stays cleaner. I have also soldered thousands of electrical component on PC boards.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
I didn't say there was a major problem, the Ersin core solder just works better for me. Flows better and my soldering iron tip stays cleaner. I have also soldered thousands of electrical component on PC boards.

Since they have the same proportions of metals I suppose then maybe the composition of the flux used by each manufacturer makes a difference? Interesting.
. . . 42 . . .